2000 Orange AirO

EarlofBarnet

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Having the Stumpjumper is great, but it is a pure XC bike, that I paid a fair bit of money for. When I was up at Glentress a few weeks ago I felt almost as if I was missing out enjoying some of the jumps etc as I didn't want to risk stacking it. So it crossed my mind to build something else...

I decided to look back at Enduro's as I really enjoyed the two I had, probably more the 2002 one. However they're really good at holding their money and I don't want to spend too much on this 'play' bike. Then Jay put up an Orange AirO for sale. Job done :cool:

Waiting on the frame being delivered, but here's a pic from the ad:

2011-09-13174254.jpg

Would love to strip and repaint it and fit new decals but need to resist and just go with it as it is.

Next was the forks. I initially thought to get some Tora's. Had some on my Mantra and couldn't really fault them. Had practically committed to some and then found some 2007 Marzocchi Z1's. I love Marzocchi forks, the 66's, Drop Off's and 44's I've had in the past have all been flawless, so thought the Z1's would be of similar quality. Picked these up for £20 more than the Tora's I was looking at, so not bad:

p4pb7144755.jpg

Also waiting on a headset from scant to lace the two together, a FSA Pig.

I had bought some Hope/XM317 wheels for my Stumpy, but think these are now destined for the AirO as I'll need a 20mm front hub.

So that's really it for now. Got a few bits lying around that I can put on this to get it up and running for now and then may upgrade later. It'll be running 2x8 to start with and then I'll probably upgrade to 2x9 eventually. Trying to keep costs right down on this!

Some parts have now landed :cool:

IMG_0960.jpg

IMG_0958.jpg

Stripped the forks down and gave them an oil change. Put some Fox Float fluid on the seals too, to help keep things plush.

IMG_0963.jpg

Me too! Just money stopping me from getting it finished. Hoping to get it up and running, then can upgrade at a later date.

Still slowly making progress with this. I had intended to use the Hope wheels I had originally bought for my Stumpy. However, after getting a set of 20mm adapters and stripping the hub, realised that the XC hubs I had couldn't be converted! Thankfully Dave (Sidewinder) has just come to the rescue with a set of Hope/Deore wheels that'll see me right.

Josh (cyfa2809) has sorted me out with a SRAM PG80 cassette, some Deore shifters and a chain. So that's nearly the drivetrain sorted. Trying to find a reasonably priced chainset is proving a bit more difficult.

Ordered a Race Face Evolve XC Riser Bar from Merlin which arrived quickly. Nice piece of kit for £17.99!

Will update the pictures later today :)

Think I've sorted all the parts now :cool:

Spec:

Frame - 2000 Orange AirO
Forks - 2006 Marzocchi Bomber Z1 Sport
Headset - FSA The Pig
Seatpost - Kalloy Uno (Black) 27.2
Seat - Richey V2
Bars: Race Face Evolve XC (Black) 660mm O/S
Stem: Exotic 90mm x 31.8 (Black)
Grips: DMR Zip Grip (Black/Grey)
Shifters: Shimano Deore M590 9sp
Brakes: Clarks Skeletal (White)
Chainset: Shimano Deore M590 (Black)
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Deore M590
Rear Mech: Shimano Deore LX
Front Mech:
Cassette: SRAM PG-890
Front Wheel: Hope 20mm
Rear Wheel: Shimano Deore
Tyres:

Going to do a quick paint job on the white bits on the frame and make them Black.

The build can then start... :)

Bike's nearly built now. Just waiting on the front mech landing and need to sort a rear disc (hopefully on its way). Might give it a run out on Sunday pending parts deliveries :)

Frame - 2000 Orange AirO
Forks - 2006 Marzocchi Bomber Z1 Sport
Headset - FSA The Pig
Seatpost - Kalloy Uno (Black) 27.2
Seat - Richey V2
Bars: Race Face Evolve XC (Black) 660mm O/S
Stem: Exotic 90mm x 31.8 (Black)
Grips: DMR Zip Grip (Black/Grey)
Shifters: Shimano Deore M590 9sp
Brakes: Clarks Skeletal (White)
Chainset: Shimano Deore M590 (Black)
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Deore M590
Rear Mech: Shimano Deore LX
Front Mech: Shimano Deore
Cassette: SRAM PG-890
Front Wheel: Hope Bulb 20mm
Rear Wheel: Shimano Deore
Tyres: Continental Speed King 2.1"

Finished-ish:

8624a982.jpg

0390c2d7.jpg

Waiting on the decals landing and might look to fit a shorter stem. Quite pleased how it's turned out, especially for the money.

Back