ROCKSHOK & BOTTOM BRACKET REMOVAL

Nigel-P7

Old School Hero
Hi,

Some advice please regarding the above items.

I have tried knocking the stem gently to dislodge but to no avail. It is a cartridge bearing needle with a Max Adapter. I have not come across these before so unsure :-/

Also which tool do I purchase to remove the bottom bracket and cranks please?

Regards,

Nigel

Attachments

• 04102011390.jpg
    04102011390.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 1,475
  • 04102011392.jpg
    04102011392.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 1,475
  • 04102011395.jpg
    04102011395.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 1,475
Bottom bracket is Shimano's Ocalink setup. Search for crank and bottom bracket extractors for them. (Do you have any crank/bottom bracket bike tools already ?)
I've never had one but I believe you use the standard crank extractor but with a penny or a special plug to push against.
The bottom bracket should come out with the usual SquareTaper one, though it may need to be newer style for Octalink/ISIS axle diameters (my original one that came with the original XTR bottom bracket would not fit over my ISIS axle)

Something like
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=14914
and this that has that 'plug' built onto the end it seems
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=4939
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=10181
this is the plug
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=5728

Headset, assuming it's Ahead style setup, then lift the black spacer looking ring, it might have a compression ring hidden under it, remove that and then they should fall out.

Hey,

Thanks for that.

I do have a standard square taper BB removal tool. Just need then the Shimano Octalink Chainset Plug Tool and Octalink tool, is that right?

The headset is an 'A'. OK so will have a go at the compression ring. Must be particularly tight.

Will let you know.

Cheers,

Nigel

Put a penny over the bottom bracket hole and try that, I've seen that recommendation on here a few times. Saves buying a plug (as you might as well buy a new tool seeing the prices)
Try what you have first.

For the headset, try hitting it from under the crown to dislodge the top part. Might help.

OK,

Headset off, no problems.

Octalink with the 'penny' method and a CCP-2 extractor not so!

Not so sure what Queeny will make of it, so hush hush!!

Next purchase a dedicated Octalink extractor.

Thank you for the help.

Nigel

Attachments

• 09102011407.jpg
    09102011407.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,447
A penny is to big try a five pence thats what I use ;)

Ps Are the crank bolts not the self extracting type? they are on my XT

I take it I also need a special tool for the removal of the BB cartridge?

Like a Shimano Style Hollow Tech 2 Tensioning Tool or X-Tools BB Tool Hollowtech II. Is that correct?

Nigel

It should be a splined interface like a normal cartridge bottom bracket, be it square/isis/octalink
octalink is aka hollowtech.
like my first link above
14914.jpg

unless you have something odd ;)

5p, ah, wonder is 1p is ISIS then or I just think it should be 1p.

Nice small ball bearing cup you made there though.

FluffyChicken":2og0jfoj said:
It should be a splined interface like a normal cartridge bottom bracket, be it square/isis/octalink
octalink is aka hollowtech.
like my first link above
14914.jpg

unless you have something odd ;)

5p, ah, wonder is 1p is ISIS then or I just think it should be 1p.

Nice small ball bearing cup you made there though.

He needs the XTR type BB removal tool Ben, not the standard Shimano type.

Edit:- I think the Drive side is normal tool & the non drive side is XTR, so you can still take the BB out & leave the non drive side in the BB.
If that makes any sense :roll:

off to search on that, so other octalinks used that fitting other than v1 types XTR M95x and DuraAce
The tools TL-UN96 (also used for the chainset spider lockrings)
of course the jagged edges in the picture may give that away if you knew.

Found the ES71 (XT of this era) that looks like it should use the xtr tool and is v2 splines on the axle and what is probably fitted here, but it also has the splines on the inside for the normal tool if yours has a large enough hole in the middle (I assume like he one I linked to as that's listed as octalink)

1002.jpg

All this modern stuff, i dunno :LOL:

Back