Hello, i am after some advice, bought a 98 FSR Comp.

I did point somebody over to this forum, it may have been you :)

Injury update, well i have made some progress with the healing, a real mixed bag to be honest.

Now without trying to big myself up, i should point out that i have spent most of my life as a self employed person, and self employed people do not give up/take time off/get annoyed by pain/etc etc

Basically i dont ever give myself "time off" to dwell on pain/injurys, i always chose to "work the problem out" by testing myself constantly, it usually hurts like hell at the time, but i always feel better afterwards, a little like self physio therapy.

I am on Diclofenac painkillers which to be fair, dont seam to do much at all, or maybe things would be even worse if i was not taking them, its hard to tell :roll:

My knackered back muscles healed up quite fast, my rib has been a totall PITA, initially not hurting me much during the day at work (i have been unable to get any holidays and can not do "sick days" at the moment, its complicated) but when doing anything regarding bed/sleep it has been horrible, getting into bed has been hell as you would expect, as has sleeping, which i have been managing to get around 4 hours per night, apart from a few days ago when things changed and i started sleeping a lot better, think i managed 7 hours last night, BLISS!

The rib never gave me any trouble during the day, apart from 3 days ago, the missus forgot about the injury's and threw her arm over me in bed, fooking yooooowwwch!, it was then giving me complete hell at work, for around 4 hours non stop, then it just stopped hassling me :? i figured that it must have been the pain killers kicking in, but i was confused on why my morning dose did not work? anyway i completed my shift and came home to spend yet another evening on the sofa like a cripple, i started getting really bad pains around the rib on every single breath, WTF is going on this is like a week and a half or so after the crash, i took some more pain killers and went to bed, i woke up with the rib VASTLY better in the morning, to the point where it does not even hurt that much getting into bed, although lieing down tends to stretch things and its a little uncomfortable.

Not sure what all that is about but it seams like its now 80-85% fixed which is good.

Wrist sprain fixed itself in a few days.

The hip has been hard work, i have been put on light dutys at work as i have been unable to do much, but the hip has probably been the worst injury IMO, at first i thought it was a simple sprain, but now i think i probably came close to dislocating it or something, it feels like its all been stretched about and i suspect the tendons/ligaments have taken a hammering, they dont tend to fix themselves very quickly if my dislocated shoulder from 2 months ago is anything to consider :p its getting a lot better, but tends to get fatigued quite easy, 1st thing in the morning i can walk about quite well to be honest, but after a few hours it just slowly deteriorates and my limp becomes more and more extreme until the end of the day, until i have to walk back to my car in the car park and i need to use an arm to lift my leg into the cars footwell.

I had said to the missus that if i did not feel i was improving, then i would get myself checked out this weekend (2 weeks after the crash) i do feel like i have improved a lot, and i suspect the rib is well on its way, with the hip following it, what i have noticed is that the time spent working before the hip complains, is growing larger each day, and i always feel better the following day.

I had given myself a goal of trying to get on a bike this weekend just to see what hurts, nothing crazy, just a ride down the street and back to test the water, walking hurts like hell after a while but i have no pain while sitting down, it may be that riding the bike will be fine, i shall see at some point this weekend, i think it may be fine though.

I have been giving some thought to my riding style, 2 big crashes in 2 months is making me think that i should maybe stay away from the crazy stuff in the future and just stick to XC type riding :LOL:

What will no doubt happen though is n a few months i will have forgotten all about it and go flying through the air again :LOL: :LOL:

I should have added, i have been into the man cave to check the FSR and apart from it needing 2 new wheels, the rest of it looks spot on!

It may need a little paint touch in from the tyres rubbing on the chain stays, but apart from that, it still looks mint :)

Still waiting for the sticker chap to get back to me though, PM`d him again, received a reply, then heard nothing since.

Bought some hubs to make up as wheels, and i also picked up some Outland pedals for it.

greetings from a fellow fsr owner.

likieing the work you have put into the bike and ppleased you are on the mend.

best thing with gil is to contact him direct to his email - i think it is in his profile but as already mentioned, he is a busy chap. a very pleasant chap too

When I picked up my first FSR ('98 Extreme) - it had an A2Z adapter and a broken dropout.
I think I remember reading that the A2Z isn't compatible with certain dropouts and the FSRs aren't suitable - and makes em liable to break like mine had.

Anyway, hope you're mended soon mate.

I am still a little broken, but i can now walk around reasonably well without pain killers, although by the end of a shift at work i feel broken again.

My hip keeps siezing up, i figured that a ride on a bike might help? thinking i would have no real load on it, but i would still be moving it about.

Saturday morning i managed to ride around my car once before i gave up :LOL:

Last night i managed about 5 laps of the car park, at first it hurt like hell, but this eased off as the muscles started to relax a bit, i called it a night as i did not want to push it.

Tonight i kitted up and went out for a longer ride, the first mile was horrible, constantly thinking WTF am i doing, the second mile was a little easier, but i had made a decision to come back home, the seat was raping my rear and i was not in the best of spirits, about half a mile from home things really started to free up, and if i stood on the pedals now and again, the muscle pain would disapear and leave me able to start pushing a little, it took me around 20 mins, but i managed a ride of 3.2 miles :LOL:

Utterly crap but i feel a lot better for it now to be honest, i will try again on friday after work.

I have sent Gill 2 PM`s now and also 2 emails, to be honest i will just source them elsewhere.

good to hear things are on the up, but i'd seriously wait for Gil to get back to you.
you wont find better quality at the price.

Back