Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

It was the pricey sum of £31
I think its pretty much as it should be.
I had a ride around the bay on it when I first got it and it wasn't to bad.
I think a service and then getting muddy is the best plan. Oh and some tyres!

Bargain!

It still has the dust covers on the crank bolts!!!! Just riding it as it is seems like a good plan.

recycling centre Tufftrax acquired.

Just about to go & get my latest find out of the van - a large, plain blue Tufftrax (Tange sticker intact) with 1991 era M550 LX cranks (incl caps), mechs & lo-pro cantis on it. Lots of horrible stuff of course - seized RST forks, gripshift, huge seat right down so probably with stuck seatpost. Nice LX/Ritchey front wheel with usable Tioga tyre so that will go straight on my Pantera. Also - a front brake cable hanger on the fork brace - just what I needed.
Will do some stripping down later & take pics. Any tall lad want the frame?
Rupe - I've definitely got a spare pair of brakes now - pass them to you on 2nd Oct ride or I can post if you're not coming. PM me.

Tufftrax Extreme: What year is this from??

Greetings Saracen lovers and congratulations on the marathon thread!!

Just picked this up as a part ex for a bit of bike fixing I did. No idea about early Saracens if I'm honest but after stumbling across this thread I'm thinking it's a 1989? Does anyone know what the original spec would have been. Are the Deore thumbie's original? Any info greatly appreciated as I'm thinking of trying to restore to as original as possible and the drivetrain is pretty shagged. I couldn't resist the crazy colour and decals!!

Cheers :D

Attachments

• Tufftrax Extreme.jpg
    Tufftrax Extreme.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 1,740
Looks like a 1991 Tufftrax Extreme. Would've originally had 400LX drivetrain.
The Deore thumbies probably were original, as Saracen often specced them in preference to STIs.

Attachments

• 1991-specs-partial.jpg
    1991-specs-partial.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 1,727
As much by accident as by design, I've ended up with all three of my reduced fleet being (obviously!) Saracens! (see Gallery).

And now I've bought another. It's a Tufftrax (only decal remaining) and a quick browse on here suggests an Elite from c. 1992. Little used and seemingly mostly original - I'll check parts when it's light. Bought it because unlike other three it has guard and rear rack mounts - so my winter bike for this year.

Photos to follow - ID help will be required, please. I might just keep this one as original as possible.

Here is a pic of my 1984 Conquest:

dsc0587ew.jpg

Gotta love Saracens :cool:

Build thread here:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=150873

Back