3 Peaks Cyclocross 2011 – a personal report

Thanks Ed, great read :D :!:
Will be off next Tuesday to sort you a proper ride for next years edition ;)

ps: G and I love the "thievery"

My hero!

Put me down for next year, although I may really regret buyimg a frame that'll take 28mm tyres at most... :evil:

elPedro666":3ijzj301 said:

Believe me, there's nothing heroic in getting round in just shy of 6 and a half hours.

Anyway, here's a couple of post event close ups of the bike.

Attachments

• 3PX Front Mech.JPG
    3PX Front Mech.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,310
  • 3PX Canti.JPG
    3PX Canti.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,310
ed,

what gear ratios were u running? looks like could be fairly small chainrings from the pic.
I used 34 x 46 compact on the front and 12-36 10spd sram apex cassette, which worked perfectly with a long cage ultegra mech and sti. The year before when flat bars were allowed i used magura brakes and deore mtb groupset - 9spd with triple chainrings and 11-34 cassette. That low gear pretty much got me to the dogleg RH turn up pen y ghent and therefore saved a bit of staggering. Those brakes were awesome but strangely the narrow flat bars gave me tendonitis. Frogslegs and sti levers on bonty 46cm compact drops this year. Painful at the time but didnt take weeks to recover like last year...

I had a 48/34 Campag compact up front and a 11/32 9 speed SRAM cassette out back running off an M952 rear mech so a tidy lash up. That said, it also got me up to the PYG dogleg although I'm guessing at a more modest speed.

In terms of controls I had a flat 110mm Thomson OS stem, 46cm ITM bars with 9 speed bar end shifters and Froggleggs operated by Shimano 600 aero levers. The brakes were pretty wooden in operation but as I spent such a considerable length of time making light on my toes it hardly mattered.

ededwards":1f61e7y4 said:
Believe me, there's nothing heroic in getting round in just shy of 6 and a half hours.

I beg to disagree - making it before cut-off is a great achievement at your age! :p :p :p :LOL:

elPedro666":n8t0v50z said:
Making it before cut-off is a great achievement at your age! :p :p :p :LOL:

Fighting talk my young friend, fighting talk.

I've already been discussing the aggregation of marginal gains with SuperGeoff. Skinsuits and reducing the aero drag from excess cable outer are obvious easy wins. I also be shaving the steerer back to the quick and fitting a stem with rise, a surefire 64g reduction if I've understood correctly. Add those three together and I reckon I have 72s in the bag for no extra effort.

However calculation from the finishing times of those I passed and passed again indicates that I could comfortably cut 90 minutes off my time if I could ride any section of the downhill which would surely be the most efficient approach.

Right, best unleash the cable cutters and contact The Guvnor to get a Retrobike branded skinsuit then.

Forget carpe diem. Carpe ominous is where the smart money is.

Back