A cotic soulful morning Frame change, orange to black

sm500

Retro Guru
After wanting another soul for ages, i managed to track down a nice orange medium frame in lovely condition.
With the parts i took of an on one frame, i have built this up as my winter training bike for mainly rd cannel use and with a change of forks to sus ones and some knoblies my xc bike. I know its not to everyones taste with slicks and rigids, but this has been built to fulfil a purpose.
First impressions are its lovely to ride, i thought the ridid 420 forks would be to short, have to say its spot on and a lovely ridin position for me. Sus forks will be on the way when i can choose which ones to use and some knoblies as its begging to get dirty an covered in mud.
Have been considering running it with an alfine wheel, thing is i dont want to use a rear chain tensioner, so might look into running it on a front dh jockey wheel, i might even be lucky with a half link chain and get ratios spot on. Has enybody else run their soull ss or alfine without the use of a rear tensioner, as i hate the look of them, and with a rear tensioner i might as well run a rear derailer..Happy times.. :LOL: had 10 mins this arvo so decided to change tires. Thats more like it. cables need sorting and after a nicer fork now..
PA011190.jpg
[/list]
  • PA011193.jpg

Had a change of plan sold orange frame on, managed to get one in black, the colour i originaly wanted..
  • PA151225.jpg
[img
Would like to have kept them both, but i really want a simple so sold orange frame on to a a guy i cycle with. now on the lookout for a medium simple [/list]
  • PA151227.jpg

Looking good :cool:

I originally set mine up with a 100mm stem, 100mm Reba's and a straight post.

It was a real hoot as it was quick.

Popped a 120mm fork on, 80mm stem & set back post and wayhay!

I am a fan of rigid and believe it has its place but the Soul deserves suspension forks IMHO.

Don't make your new steed happy by not releasing its potential......

. ;)

yep its runnung a 80mm stem, but am going to put a 70mm on now, then it will be spot on for me .)

Great bikes.

So far mine has run....

Singlespeed 32/17, 440 carbon rigid forks, 90mm stem

2x9, Magura Thor 110/140 fork, 70mm stem

1x10 (33t front 12/36 rear) rest as above.

Now running a 445mm steel rigid fork, 80mm stem, layback, 2x9 gearing.

When running singlespeed i used a BB mounted tensioner. Looked much cleaner and never slipped.

I'm planning surgery for mine. I want to run it with a dropper post and also be able to run SS without a tensioner. I'm undecided on going for either an eccentric Phil Wood BB or Paragon Sliders.

Dr S":1c2z8fua said:
Great bikes.

So far mine has run....

Singlespeed 32/17, 440 carbon rigid forks, 90mm stem

2x9, Magura Thor 110/140 fork, 70mm stem

1x10 (33t front 12/36 rear) rest as above.

Now running a 445mm steel rigid fork, 80mm stem, layback, 2x9 gearing.

When running singlespeed i used a BB mounted tensioner. Looked much cleaner and never slipped.

I'm planning surgery for mine. I want to run it with a dropper post and also be able to run SS without a tensioner. I'm undecided on going for either an eccentric Phil Wood BB or Paragon Sliders.

EBB every time for me now. Far simpler to keep in alignment!
I don't think I'd go for a Phil again though, unless they've improved the clamping mech from two grub screws...
The EBB on my Dekerf has an expanding wedge that works far better. Or you could tryn a Forward Components EBB that fits in a standard BB shell. Even that has 12 clamping screws, and doesn't move!

Back