1985 Saracen Conquest - Finished - 05/10/2011

Been working away for a while so had some evenings to spend cleaning and polishing up, re-greasing and re-building this bike.

I had the wheels re-built with stainless spokes, got a replacement saddle (B66), NOS shifters (M700), replacement m700 rear mech, new chain, (HG50), NOS Nitto steel bars (the old ones were cut down too much), brake cable and some pads of an old set of cantis that I had. Tyres are some Panaracer IBEX which suit it well I think and I got some cheap sponge type grips.

The only thing I know is wrong are the pedals, the originals are shot, (and rubbish - I don't mind flats but smooth flats are dangerous IMO), I have some period suntour ones which will go on eventually, in the meantime these will do nicely.

Everything else is original and as it can off of ebay. The frame has at some points over its 25 year life been subject to hammeriting in places, I have tidied this and stripped it back off of decals but its not too bad so will be leaving that well alone for now :D

I am amazed at how well all of the components came up with a bit of elbow grease.

It's a blast to ride, feels very stable and goes better than its 31lbs would suggest!

Here's some pics, (sorry they are not the best but only got a 3G connection):

dsc0575p.jpg

dsc0587ew.jpg

dsc0586f.jpg

dsc0576n.jpg

dsc0577rg.jpg

dsc0579ck.jpg

dsc0576n.jpg

dsc0580q.jpg

dsc0585dk.jpg

dsc0581c.jpg

dsc0584w.jpg

dsc0588l.jpg

dsc0589d.jpg

That is so beautiful .... Im well impressed with the parts you have added as replacements

Great work and another rescued Saracen :cool:

V. Cool ! Where did you find those tyres ?? Been looking for a year for some of those .....obviously not in the right place :D

Gravy Monster":20i07k3b said:
That is so beautiful .... Im well impressed with the parts you have added as replacements

Great work and another rescued Saracen :cool:

Antstark":20i07k3b said:
V. Cool ! Where did you find those tyres ?? Been looking for a year for some of those .....obviously not in the right place :D

I just found the tyre by accident on eBay - cost more to ship them than to buy them - keep looking they will turn up!

Lovely! Great job..
My only change would be for a slightly stealthier Brooks but that horses for courses.
I LOVE it!! Get it in BOTM ;)

daj":1eqi302m said:
That is a beast..... It scares me!! :LOL:

Yeah it scares me too - it has a real character and 'presence' - how many Kgs is you roof rack rated for - thanks for agreeing to drive to the north downs! ;)

wired99":1eqi302m said:
Lovely! Great job..
My only change would be for a slightly stealthier Brooks but that horses for courses.
I LOVE it!! Get it in BOTM ;)

Yes - I agree - the B66 was OE hence thats whats on it - for now. I also got hold of a BROOKS 'Conquest' saddle, it is black and dates from the early 80's and is embossed with 'Mountain Bike Saddle', and is slightly narrower at the back which could be a better option. For now though I am enjoying my first rear suspension bike which 1" of travel from dual coil springs!!

Thanks for the cue to get it in BOTM - I think it needs the right pedals first :D

Jan - thanks for your nice comment too :D

Back