Mid-2000's XC full suspension frame - suggestions?

petitpal

Retrobike Rider
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Having ridden full suspension for the first time recently I'm a bit of a convert. Sort of a bit strapped for cash so anyone got any suggestions for a mid 2000's frame (2005 / 2006) that works well as a general cross country bike and could take 100mm+ forks? Have no idea what to look for otherwise and need to do some costings (and then multiply by 10) :D

Cheers,
P. :)

Based on my own personal experience (I have owned/raced/ridden each of these frames), I can suggest the following:

Giant VT (5" travel)
Giant NRS (3.75 - 4" travel)
Giant Trance (4" travel)
Generalized Enduro (6" travel)
Scott Genius (5" travel)

All of these frames can now probably be had for a very good price if you look around a little :)

Out of those 5, I preferred the Giant NRS (I had a 2003/2004 NRS Team) as it was very light, strong and really really flexible in how it could be used, too. I had mine set up with a 5" travel Fox Vanilla RLC out front, low-rise bars and a strong, dependable set up.

It took everything I could throw at it, and it weighed about 26lb :)

GT iDrives are very good and plentiful. Very clever system seriously reduces bob and pedal feedback but potential for bearing issues if you get too thorough with the post ride hosing down.

Thanks so far :) Difficult question then, I guess, how do full suspension frame sizes compare to hard tails? My Zaskar is a 16", inside leg is 31 (to floor, rather than trouser size!) :)

2004-2009 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR. You need a size medium.

Buy the BETD rocker upgrade for it and a new shock and you have something that will never go out of fashion. You can run 100mm forks with improved BB clearance and stiffer rear end. Or run 130mm at both ends.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Specialized 2003 enduro amazing frames also won trail bike of the decade :cool:

(they were not the modern heavy duty travel bikes the enduro is today either)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latest posts

Back