1987 Raleigh Quadra

Henne

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
It is a Mk1 model from 1987. I am the second owner having picked it up in 1995 from Cycling Weekly's classifieds from a chap in Weybridge who had hardly used it in the 7 or 8 years he had it. It was in great condition and even the anodising on the rims was like new. I had been on the look out for a Quadra at the time since it was a bike I had wanted to own from my early teens having seen one in my LBS and drooled over the Raleigh brochure (special products and lightweights edition?) featuring the Quadra.

Since owning the bike I have probably only ridden it around 300 miles in the 16 years of my ownership, which have been dry summer rides with 95% of these in the first 5 years when I lived with my folks. When I moved out I didn't have the space to store it until a few years ago. Due to a young family and other bikes it seldom gets used at all now and is more of an ornament for the garage.

If I recall the only changes made from the original spec is the seat from a mkII Quadra which was added by the previous owner, the tyres which I had upgraded to Continentals a year after buying it and mudguards.

It is kitted out with Shimano 105 12 speed groupset and weinmann rims.

Attachments

• IMG_2480 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2480 (Medium).JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 4,481
  • IMG_2479 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2479 (Medium).JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 4,481
  • IMG_2478 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2478 (Medium).JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 4,483
  • IMG_2472 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2472 (Medium).JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 4,483
That brings back memories. I had one of these back in 88/89 when I was 15/16. It was the best bike I'd owned and loved it to bits. Total pride and joy to own and ride.

I bought it from Julies cycles in Leicester for about £400 by the time a few addons had been added. I think I bought an extra water bottle cage and a cat eye too.

My dad lent me the money to buy the bike so I appreciated it more than I would have if it had been bought for me.

Love the design, even today. It was so advanced looking thanks to the cables running inside the frame.

Cor, that's a nice bike

I remember these from my days working in a Raleigh dealership. Really nice bikes! Our saturday boy had one...!

Re: Cor, that's a nice bike

531 pro":108g15u1 said:
I remember these from my days working in a Raleigh dealership. Really nice bikes! Our saturday boy had one...!

I had a Saturday job in Ken Hewletts. Brought one of these with my hard earned pennies.

Don't suppose you were working there as well ???

Re:

I have one of these but in terrible condition - came like this when I got it . Nice to see what it was like when it has been taken care of! Here's mine below converted to moustache bars.

_DSC2098 by ksvb5368, on Flickr

Re:

Good to see some other Quadras still going. Thought I would post up a more recent pic of it's current state minus the guards. :)

Attachments

• 031 (Small).jpg
    031 (Small).jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,957
Back