Cadex - Single Speed Build

sic_nick":2ihkqmwf said:
What size frame is that? I wouldn't mind doing that myself but just wondering if I could get away with an 18" frame, I'm 6'4" and generally ride 19" hardtails but have an 18" On One.

The frame measures at 18" from the Centre of the BB to the top of the top tube.

sic_nick":2ihkqmwf said:
Oh, what's the A-C on the fork too?

The AC on the fork is 440mm - steering seems fine, I'm wondering if I am going to get away with a "modern" suspension fork though - any thoughts?

Woz":2ihkqmwf said:
As a minor note, wouldn't black RS7's really help make the stealth point drive home?

for sure - there are a lovelly set in the classifieds at the moment, but struggling with funding issues at the moment - anyone got a black set the want to swop for my silver uno?

Carbon Single Speed at CwmCarn

I've been riding this for a couple of months now - but yesterday was a real test! Spent the day at Cwmcarn trail centre in wales. Rode two laps of the Twrch trail - pretty technical uphill for the first few miles or so, alot of rocks and roots made it very hard single speed work! There are a couple of "gentler" downhill routes at the top that I rode several times rolling over the jumps but riding the berms pretty quick.

The middle sections are however single speed heaven!

The bike was great - although I can definatley see the attraction of disc brakes and some bounce forks! got me thinking about the next single speed build!

Crap photo from my phone....

Attachments

• Photo0015.jpg
    Photo0015.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 1,618
Can i ask your procedure for sanding it. What grit you started with through to finishing grit and how you managed to clean up any scratching to give to carbon the clean look.?

By the way i just have to add that the frame looks amazing with its clear coat on
I mean truly amazing.BOTM winner without a shadow of a doubt[just make sure that lovely finish is well shown]

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

dyna-ti":24ea68kp said:
Can i ask your procedure for sanding it. What grit you started with through to finishing grit and how you managed to clean up any scratching to give to carbon the clean look.?

I started with some heavy duty 80 grit and then moved down to finish on 320 grit. The lugs where done with paint stripper and wirewool. To be honest it looked aweful before it was sprayed, but if you wipe it over with a damp cloth you can see how it is going to look once the laquer is applied and if you need to sand any further. its pretty resiliant stuff and can take alot of punishment from the sandpaper.

You finished with 320? :shock:
I finished mine with 800 waterproof.
Tip: use a good mask! Your lungs aren't to keen on this carbon dust.

The AC on the fork is 440mm - steering seems fine, I'm wondering if I am going to get away with a "modern" suspension fork though - any thoughts?
Your rigid fork is allready suspension corrected for a modern 80mm fork, so that would give the same steering feeling.

Still haven't gotten around to getting those fork ends machined... :oops:

But had a brainwave for a temporary rebuild— turn it into a cyclocross bike! After all it ain't called a CadeX for nothing (hmm). Only thing is the frame is so small it's tricky getting the thing on my shoulder. Luckily I can comfortably carry it with about two fingers...

Probably several kinds of sacrilege being perpetrated here but who cares? I like it. And I like the blue bar tape. Simple, me. b

PS - more pics on me blog

P1040265.JPG
[/url]

SS dropouts

Do you have extra dropouts? I am converting my 1994 cfm1. I am original owner. Thanks in advance? Disc brake project?

I have an all original early 90's Cadex CF-3 that I'm would like to rebuild as a single speed. I went to my LBS to pick up a kit to make the conversion, but my derailleur hanger mount cracked a long time ago and the kit requires a derailleur to tension the chain. The rear dropouts are bolt-on and I was wondering if there is a compatible replacement to allow me to use the kit, or if I would be better off having a horizontal dropout machined. I saw an earlier post where someone had done just that and it looks very clean. I'm new to this and any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 2013-06-10_15-44-00_350 (800x641).jpg
    2013-06-10_15-44-00_350 (800x641).jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 933
Back