1993 Raleigh Activator 2

Used to work in a shop in South Manchester where we sold loads of these.

When you've lifted as many of them as I have, you'd never ever consider owning one.

But I agree - they have a place in bike history - as do the grifter, bomber and chopper.

I don't fully understand the weight issue that everyone is talking about. My modernish Gazelle city bike is weighing almost 20 kilo's (certainly with the shopping bags fitted). I have tried to hang it on the repair hooks a few times and I agree, that is horrible. But biking around is not problem. I have had a 1990 Puch Scout that probably fell in the same category as this Raleigh: heavy (14.2kg) and low components. I fitted an LX group on it because I had it lying around and I had a lot of fun on it. And yes, I certainly road it offroad. Another thing is this bad geometry I read a lot about. Well, I think that the geometry of these cheap bikes was not more off then all the "better" bikes here that now have suspension forks, but were never intended to have.
I fully understand the pleasure in fixing up such a bike, I am more builder then a rider I guess, but I fully enjoy the ride too. Keep it up!

i quite like the slack geometery of these old cheap bikes , very relaxed

Senri":2daw11xr said:
I don't fully understand the weight issue that everyone is talking about.

Totally understand where you're coming from. My comments were meant tongue in cheek: my Ascender is heavy-feeling up a hill, but on the flat it feels harder than a Hummer.

I think the main thing to take from this thread is that people love bikes for different reasons. And that everyone has different skill/knowledge levels when it comes to building up frames.

Personally, I'm only starting to understand how to build a bike properly and working out what bits work with what bike.

Ultimately, to each their own I suppose!

azaro":9e12gczi said:
Weigh it and let us know how much!
I had an Activator with just front suspension -in those days I was competing in powerlifting competitions and still found it quite weighty!

got round to weighing it today....18kg (got lots of air in tyres ! )

my workmates kona weighs 14kg so not much in it.....apart from kona nicer

still riding to work enjoying these autumm views on a not so bad ride :x :x :x

Attachments

• morning mtb.jpg
    morning mtb.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 1,528
I read this whole thread (grinning a lot) I wasn't going to comment, but the weight thing is important, you really feel the drag of a heavy bike up an incline and lets face it they just don't handle as well as lighter ones and 4Kg difference? That is a massive difference

That's it from me apart from saying: LGF = How it is done!

Totally agree its a bitch up hill,better off road than on it
I like it and will keep using it
Ain't managed to break it yet!

That red and black activator brings back memories! Had one of these as a kid, apart from the chain breaking nothing went wrong with it :LOL: Rode it everywhere, and went miles and miles around the local welsh countryside on it (ah, those days before mobile phones) with my massive everready lights.

I loved it, especially the glittery red paint.

I had a proflex reptile after that in 1997, with girvin forks :roll: and the bikes have gotten more expensive since!

If you ever sell it, I'll take it :cool:

A fan at last!
well this bike was brought new,used for a couple of months,got a puncture and was left at the bottom of a friends garden

when it was dragged from the bramble bush it looked sad,but after new inner cables,tyres and a bucket of soapy water i was going put it up for sale ( as i fix the odd mtb or modern bike just to flog off to get parts for my ever growing collection of classics just aquired 2 chopper frames)
untill i googled it and found the raleigh history site.

id like to see a more expensively made bike left in a bush for years look as good,and i know its nothing special but if no one saved these as standard then they woul disapear completely

next year people will be able to laugh at this in the flesh when it is on display with my others at car shows around wiltshire

i will bear you in mind but i think it will stay in the collection for now

john :D

Back