slx/xt/xtr

jamabikes":3qhdkfzg said:
hmm also food for thought, always forget about merlin for some reason.
Sign up to their newsletter and join the VIP club. You will get 10% off a lot of stuff, so long as it's marked up with a VIP banner ;)

Andy B":1t7dlqpq said:
SLX chainsets are stiffer than XT chainsets, or so I'm led to believe

I think that only the double with the bash guard as it's beefed up for freeriding or DH or some other modern extreme riding style thing. It also has steel inserts for the pedal threads which the triple doesn't.

JamesM":n62mfzo7 said:
Andy B":n62mfzo7 said:
SLX chainsets are stiffer than XT chainsets, or so I'm led to believe

I think that only the double with the bash guard as it's beefed up for freeriding or DH or some other modern extreme riding style thing. It also has steel inserts for the pedal threads which the triple doesn't.
The double and triple chainsets are exactly the same, barring the steel pedal inserts and chainrings.

SLX isn't aimed at DH or Freeriding, that's what the Saint groupset is aimed at. SLX is an XC/All Mountain groupset

Okay, my understanding was that the SLX double chainset was beefed up with the intention of being a cheap alternative to Saint and that the triple was the lighter XC option. I've not seen them in the flesh though, thats just the impression I got when I read some reviews a few years back.

SLX is seriously underrated and always has been.

Ultimate Shimano setup for me (assuming we are talking pre-ice-tech stuff)
XT brake levers
SLX calipers (stiffer than monobloc ones)
XT chainset (steel/carbon composite middle ring is v. nice - IIRC SLX doesn't have it but if it has, then SLX would be fine too)
SLX hubs (steel axles and a reliable freehub body!)
XT mechs - but SLX are v. nice too.

For similar reasons to those already posted, I run XTR shifters with an SLX chainset and XT mechs.

I don't use shimano brakes.

for all those saying not to use shimano brakes may i ask why? always seem easy to set up and maintain, but the only ones i have have used in anger are the new saint ones and they seem awesome.

dbmtb":24ex5i7v said:
XT chainset (steel/carbon composite middle ring is v. nice - IIRC SLX doesn't have it but if it has, then SLX would be fine too)

The SLX triple crank does have the steel/carbon composite middle ring. ;)

Latest posts

Back