Bonavia History & Frame numbers "All welcome"

Lazarus

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Sorry to ask again so soon, but its in my mind, so I'll post before I forget again, and let you good people share your knowledges of Bonavia Cycles and their frame numbers :) Particularly interested in the frame number as verification of a genuine Bonavia. Tried several times to reach the guy who took over from Bonavia, eventhough he moved to Canada, but to no avail.

Picked her up from Hemel Hempstead last year. Was kitted with a full Campagnolo GS groupset, even the hubs where Nuovo Tipo. London frame builder, London seller.

All comments welcome, good or bad, thanks yours Laz.

PS: my frame number is 160281 nothing else ? genuine Bonavia type FN ? 16th February 1981 ?, could it be that simple ?

Attachments

• DSCF0574.JPG
    DSCF0574.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,680
Some pics of the lugwork

Attachments

• DSCF0577.JPG
    DSCF0577.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,679
  • DSCF0578.JPG
    DSCF0578.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 1,677
  • DSCF0582.JPG
    DSCF0582.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,676
  • DSCF0581.JPG
    DSCF0581.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,675
Bonavia!?

Laz,

It's a bike shop in Vancouver but I've not heard of Bonavia in London.

Cheers, Rk.

"A Cut & Paste from the Bonavia Cycles webpage for anyone interested" Yours Laz.

link here http://bonaviacycles.wordpress.com/about/

About Bonavia Cycles

Bonavia cycles is Me, Ross Allan. I craft bicycle frames one at a time. I am a professional Brazer for the Brompton bicycle company and a framebuilder and husband in my spare time.

I am a graduate of the United Bicycle Institute’s bicycle frame building program and have also studied under framebuilder Clive Bonavia, who’s name and blessings grace my frames. Since Clive’s retirement, his torch has passed to me. I feel very privileged to carry his name forward. I am very excited and committed to be developing and growing as a builder wilst staying true to Clive’s belief in craft and his pursuit of accuracy in proccess and technique. I have also worked in the bike industry as a wokshop manager and bike mechanic for 12 years untill my appointment at Brompton Cycles.

Much more can be read at the above link about Ross and his teacher "Clive Bonavia" :)

Thanks for the drop by RK :) Yes my friend, Bonavia Cycles was a top London based cycle shop in its day. I believe I have 1 of Clives frames, or perhaps Ross, this is why I was looking for anyone familiar with their work or the men themselves. Later buddy, Laz.

He talks about this bike shop on the Essex Road in Islington, I am sure that'll be Mosquito Bikes, my Brother's local shop.

He's lived on the Essex Road for 14/15 years.

Cheers, Rk.

Bonavia Cycles was a top London based cycle shop in its day

I doubt if many people have heard of this bike shop; I certainly haven't.

According to http://www.campyonly.com/retrobikes/2006/bonavia.html, I would guess it's because there was no such shop!

A note about Clive the frame builder, he was/is actually a wood joiner, and made frames as a hobby. Back in the Early 80's Reynolds bought out 753 tubing, if you wanted any to make a frame you first had to get a couple of tubes and a lug "kit" silver solder or braze it together, then send it back for testing. Clive got the kit put the bits together- few days later got a letter asking if he wanted a job making frames for the Raliegh Special Projects unit. Clive was also an inovator for the original Triathlon bikes, a guy came to him wanting a frame with a very steep 80 degree seat tube! he built it and got other orders for several more from the new sport of ironmen and trialthletes.

All of Clive's frames were silver soldered and not brazed, this meant far less heat needed to be applied to the tubes, but it could only be done if the mistres between the tubes were perfect I will need to check but I am pretty sure this was the only track frame he ever built- like I mentioned earlier I spend a whole winter designing it on a drawing board- the one small thing a regret is maybe having not quite enough fork rake. I have lost touch with Clive, but I know he carried on making frames as a hobby while running a very successful joinery business.

It also seems Ross Allan only built frames (using the name "Bonavia Cycles") in his spare time whilst working for Brompton Cycles and Mosquito Bikes.

Not that there's anything wrong with amateur/hobbyist/part-time builders or that their frames are not as good as any frames built by established builders.

Thanks RK :) Any info is still info. It would seem Bonavia Cycles never existed then ? You local boys have no memories of it being there, nor any clues that it was ever there ? Hmmmm :roll:

Fiks my friend, Thank You for that :) I have done extensive research as best I could at the time, and got the impression that the Bonavia was a special bike in that Clive made very few, although he was well known in his day for being a top frame builder.

I thought this post would be as easy as the Raleigh 1, but alas, now I know less than I did before posting LOL :) Unless I track down Ross and get him to email me back, then I am absolutely stumped with this 1. Was rather hoping someone would say "Oh ... Bonavia cycles ... that was my LBS".

All of this aside, I rode this bike for quite some time before she got stripped down a second time for the respray (not done yet) and it really was a good ride, unbelievably comfortable, and fast too once you applied some leg juice. Had a 56t fitted to her for about 3 months, and she responded well to it, and handled well to at speed. All in all, she is 1 of my "not going anywhere bikes".

What say ye to that wrap around stay ? Mid 70's, Early 70's ? carlton'esq ? The frame number, a simple hand punched 6 digit affair ? I'm still guessing its a simple date code.

Ah well, the plot thickens. Thanks again guys, appreciate the help. Will let you know what Ross has to say IF he gets back in touch ? Yours Laz.

PS: Does anyone recognise the lugs ? The BB shell with that flattened out area ? Does this frame give away clues, a clueless guy like me cannot see ?

Bonavia Cycles certainly did exist and as listed above is correct. Operated from Clive's house, there was no shop, unless you wanted joinery?
When I arrived in the early 90's I had to build my own bike under Clive's guidance. He oversaw the fitting, tubing selection, riding style and all the work.
As far as I know he still has all the jigs and tooling for frame building and a stock of transfers.
The number on the bb usually was the date of birth of the builder but yours would indicate a date of completion.
I don't think Ross will know about the frame as I suspect he arrived much later. I can try to find out if Clive has a record of frame numbers but I think it may be unlikely.
What was the colour of the frame before you stripped it? Did the seller have any history for it?
I hope that throws some light on your frame for you.
Regards Tim.

I have spoken to Clive Bonavia who said that the frame numbers were nearly always the birth date of the person that ordered the frame.
But 81 would mean quite a young person. So I shall ask him again.
He does have a stock of Bonavia transfers for the frame down tubes and head tube. Should you wish to re-badge the frame after painting I can organise some transfers for you.
Regards Tim.

Latest posts

Back