My 99 Lobo Restoration and build

But compared to the cost of a new shock...

I thought it wasnt a bad price. Not stupidly high anyway.

:cool:

I still think you should either keep the other for spares or sell it on, not build 2.
Just plough what you have into the best one. At least until that one is done.

Keep going

You are doing a great job on this and it's awesome seeing such a dog being brought back to it's glory.

I purchased 2 of the pull shocks from icycles and also 2 super deluxes for my STS's over 2 years ago, don't get excited :( I unfortunately have sold them on. I think I commented in one of my build threads that those addicted to these GT's need to grab them whilst they can as when they're gone off the market it's going to hurt to get them fixed. I know BETD used to stock them but can't see anything currently listed.

I've been toying with getting a aluminium Lobo for a while now although imho aesthetically the STS version looks the dogs, I'd have more faith in the 1000 not snapping at the worst possible moment.

I'd concentrate on just the one bike, use the other as a donor. It will cost you a fortune to get the build just as you want it. Trust me I'm speaking from experience. Will continue to watch this thread with interest and can't wait to see the finished article.

:cool:

I've read your thread a lot, it is part of the reason I'm here! The price is getting silly, I stuck some of the figures into Excel but stopped pretty quickly :D There are a lot of 'only fifty quids' :shock: I can keep em both but really I need to shift one because of my expensive tastes. I can't believe how much MRP chain device is, also £70 for a bloody seat post? :| For childish self satisfaction I want it to be a fresh and new as possible, tracking down NOS or barely used is much more expensive. I'm just not counting now, ideally it would be sub £1000 but I think it'll end up £1500ish.

Frame arrived, great seller, pretty much totally honest and excellent packaging. This is the frame I should of had the first time around :oops:

So, two big dents but nothing else bar few chips. Feels like it could do with a bearing swap as its a bit stiff in motion (spring removed.) Stickers are under the clear coat but it doesn't look like paint, powdercoat? The stickers are wrinkled under there so there must have been a reaction. I don't know if this is original finish or not? I would guess its had a respray. The shock has a TF Tuned sticker, different spring (no markings) and the top and bottom out bumpers have been cut down. It appears to have been tweaked because it doesn't feel like either the new shock or the other one I have, not in a bad way, just like it has a different damping curve. Could be interesting...

Speaking of which I got what I really wanted :

Really is brand new but in all honesty it feels just like the used one I had so I probably didn't need it :eek:

The big dilema is here though, it is a smaller frame :

Ideally I'd take the shock and flog the black one back on, easy n quick. However I always wanted a small frame and its now clear I got a medium. I'm 5'10 but its no cross country bike so I don't think it matters, I just prefer the steeper slope of the top tube and the slightly more compact look. You lose the ability to fit a water bottle holder though! :p
So I may end up painting both, then selling the medium and keeping the small. What'll actually happen is by the time one is done I'll be bored and the second will stay for spares.

Few more bits arrived, shifter is really nice and the bearing was one thats not included in either of the two Lobo rebuild kits I bought. I asked Hope and got the answer I always seem to get, no. In the end after some hunting I spoke to Igus and they supplied those which are a perfect fit. They are designed specifically for this type of thing and deal with dirt well. They have a huge range and no doubt could supply all the other plain bearings, handy for the future cos the roller bearings are easy to get but these plastic things aren't. This one is a W350 - 1416-05.
This is the level of detail I'm at, I want to replace everything I can, the range of motion here is only a few degrees back n forth but if the brake didn't rotate the suspension could not move at all. I appreciate with 12 stone on it'll always move it but I want to know its perfect.

Stickers haven't arrived after two weeks also the polisher is on a go slow because the rear triangle isn't done. I need to get on with the painting..

Where did you get a shock from in the end?

And is that a M970 shifter? I was looking at them this morning too!! They look nice. :cool:

I had to buy the black frame to get the shock :p

Stripped that frame apart today, when the lower seatstay bolts came out the upper rear triangle lept quarter of an inch to the left; bent or so it seemed.
Bit of a fright but couldn't find out where it was out of alignment. Long story short, the shock was fitted the wrong way round on the lower pivot which pushed the shock 'carrier' over to one side twisting the rear end. Fitted it the right way and I'm glad to report she is all straight. For reference there is a cut out or chamfer in the shock eyelet that must face to the right of the bike when looking at it from the rear.

It is an M970 shifter, I discovered the one on the bike was an Alivio 8 speed or something naff. The M970 is super nice, expensive but feels great, best shifter I've ever handled! I'm going to have the clamp anodised red to match the brake levers but the shift lever will stay natural.

Quote :

"I can also strip, anodise to your spec and rebuild your calipers and lever bodies minus the hoses and fluid for £50 a pair unless you would rather dissasemble them yourself and just send me the aluminium parts. "

stevebarry1978@googlemail.com

Some charge in there for the taking apart, I'm sending my stuff fully stripped. I'm expecting £100 or so as there a lot of items.

Awesome thread please keep us updated, the lobo way my dream DH bike back in 1999ish.

If I were you I'd build the small frame up, it looks better and is more in keeping of the time it was made. Back then everybody had small frames for downhill, they just looked naughty.

I have a 1999 Kona chute, size small, that is if I'm honest too small for me, a medium would fit much better. I knew this before I bought it but still went for the small just for the aesthetics, it looks tight and tough!

Back