FOUND!!! 1988 Shogun Prairie Breaker Team Issue

mitalacar

Retro Newbie
We recently had a neighborhood junk day where all my neighbors put all the trash they had by the road and the local garbage company picked it all up for free. While I was putting mine out I say that my neighbor was throwing away a mountainbike. Upon inspection I could see that it was in need of some restoring and cleaning up. It was old but not in to bad of shape. I had never heard of the brand but it had a real lite reame and all quick release parts. I pushed it home and started looking on the internet to see what my find was. I quickly found out that it was the above mentioned brand and model. Though not to well known in America, I was an expensive bike for it's day. It sold for around $900!!!! All the components work well and after fixing the broken chain it also rode well. The picture was taken just after its first wash. I have since done more cleaning and some touch up due to rust and chips. It is looking much better and I will post more pictures as soon as I am done.

Features:
Deore XT
Tange Prestige
Biopace cranks

Attachments

• DSC01121.jpg
    DSC01121.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 4,470
Here is an updated picture. I touched up the paint. I have some more sleaning to do on the rims and so on...

Attachments

• shogun.jpg
    shogun.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 4,459
That's the funny thing. I used to do a lot of BMX riding when I was a kid. I could pretty much take one apart and put it back together. I lived way out in the country and we would find beat up bikes all the time and use them for parts or fix them up. One thing that remained true was that the components would usually be garbage due to being left out to rust and all. This bike had been left out for, I am assuming, years. It had rust on the frame, which I sanded and touched up. The cranks where a little noisy so I had to pull them apart and clean the bearings and regrease. But, the brakes and gears and pretty much everything else worked great! I had to fix a broken chain and, unfortunately, cut the seatpost as it was to high and frozen. The Shimano Diore xt parts are awsome for being almost 20 years old.

Final cleaning and touch up.....
Here is the picture. It looks better than what the pewvious picture show. Here also is a picture of what some of the rust looked like.

Attachments

• DSC01132.JPG
    DSC01132.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 4,358
  • DSC01128.JPG
    DSC01128.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 4,358
Back