1993 Raleigh Activator 2

legrandefromage":3e7hnqc4 said:
johntomjoe":3e7hnqc4 said:
im ending my part of this debate,discussion or just slagging off with
my view as i dont really care,dont want an expensive mtb ,not interested in using them off road or on proper trails...........

JUST HAVING FUN COLLECTING AND PLAYING,IM OVERWEIGHT AND ALWAYS WILL BE,EXERCISE LOTS,WORK HARD,DONT SMOKE OR DRINK AND BLOODY ENJOY LIFE,AND I NEVER BELITTLE ANYONE NO MATTER WHAT TYPE OF SHITTY OR EXPENSIVE BIKE THEY OWN

You're taking it far too personally, no-one is belittling you, just the bike, its not your fault raleigh brought it out. Whats your idea of an 'expensive MTB' anyway? This has cost £15 so far and there are many other cheapies on here with a little time and patience:

fromagenated_733.jpg

Theres plenty more rewarding fish in the sea.

Spot on LGF

If you like bikes of that sort then there is no harm in collecting and using them, go for it but as LGF says, why not look for more bang for your buck,there is plenty of really great bikes out there for little money and you will start to appreciate what a difference a nice frame can do and will only make you want to ride more :D

Now, now; one mans shit is another mans sugar-coated turd! :LOL:

Anyone who has worked in a bike shop will know that your average 'Joe Public' just isn't interested in owning even a mid-end mountain bike let alone a high-end one...

All they're concerned with is whether they like the look of it and how cheap it is;

My next door neighbour looks over the fence as I'm building mine on the patio (purple Kili Comp currently on the work stand...) and says 'Ooh, I like that one...' but when I tell him he can have it for £250 he points to his Apollo and says 'This only cost me £99 ten years ago and it's got front suspension!'

Bearing in mind he's the same height as me but weighs 22 stone then we all know that as soon as he sits on the bike he ain't got NO suspension left, but try telling him that!

Add to that the fact his bike must weigh at least 40lbs - but he likes it!

It's the same with the Activator - it served it's purpose, plenty of kids were happy with theirs (I would have been when I didn't know any better...) and they deserve their place in the history of our hobby (for that is ultimately all it is after all).

In all due seriousness I'm genuinely considering building myself a replica Activator using, say, a Columbus tubeset just for the hell of it and kitting it out in XT M735 and Mag 21's... :LOL:

its a bike built to a price point
therefore with a a bit of upgrading it can be a different bike
i got a raliegh youkon from my lbs for 30 quid fitted various bits i had that i liked and fitted and changed the bike

try the same with the activator , lets face it you already own it

mikee":7k6auza0 said:
its a bike built to a price point
therefore with a a bit of upgrading it can be a different bike
i got a raliegh youkon from my lbs for 30 quid fitted various bits i had that i liked and fitted and changed the bike

try the same with the activator , lets face it you already own it

The Yukon was Reynolds branded tubing, the Activator is Scaffold branded tubing so, lets not.

Well its lived up to its name!!

Its "activated" a few emotions on here!

Its cursed I tell ye....throw it in the bushes........again!

:facepalm:

There is a guy where I work who rides one of these in every day. Looks like he's had it and loved it for years!

I picked up a Raleigh Ascender a while back purely because I had one as a kid. I still quite like the glittery paint job it's got.

AndyRM":37mxkahw said:
There is a guy where I work who rides one of these in every day. Looks like he's had it and loved it for years!

I picked up a Raleigh Ascender a while back purely because I had one as a kid. I still quite like the glittery paint job it's got.

Well at least it saves on gym membership! :LOL:

We_are_Stevo":12vtzwg4 said:
AndyRM":12vtzwg4 said:

Well at least it saves on gym membership! :LOL:

I had to join a gym just so I could get the thing moving!

It makes me wonder how I managed on it when I was younger.

Latest posts

Back