how much does this hobby owe you in ££££££

Interesting one this, I built up to owning a bike worth around £3500 in the mid/late 90's but since then 99% of my bikes/bits have been funded by selling others or buying and selling other bikes. That's been the rule for both my bikes and cars, although the cars got liquidised and I put all the money into the house.
If I worked out what it would have cost me to buy everything I've owned since being into MTBs and didn't factor in the amount I got from selling them on it'd be in excess of £20k. It's not cost me anywhere near that though and every penny has been worth it!

Gotta be 20k+ over the last 15 years, think the biggest one off hit was when I spent 2k on a mount vision pro to race on (in fun class :oops:)

Haven't bought a complete bike since.

Reluctant":35sxsrxg said:
I agree with all the "owes me nothing" posts - who knows where life woulda taken me without bicycles? I may have continued to drink excessivley, smoke and do drugs. Bicycling is a bargain and good for you too, gets you out in the countryside, expands your social life etc - all round good thing. :D

The cost in finacial terms is alright too - especially this retrobiking lark. Compared to the price of any kind of motorsport, it's peanuts. Might as well spend that cash, get out and ride and enjoy it while still fit and healthy enough to enjoy it! :LOL:

I agree 100%

to sum it up

bikes don't owe me nothing

It is I who owe them all :idea: :LOL:

need to rewrite my will
wish to be buried with some of them so I can ride these in my afterlife - sure the egyptians got it right there !!!!!! ;)

More fun than anything else though i must say im out a few of hundred on the rudy and it not selling is preventing me from moving on to the next
cos im skint :cry:

Not owning a car and cycling most of the time saves me so much money that I can spend a lot on bikes whil still saving money.
That said, usually when I build a classic at the end the bill is around 500 Euro's, including all the parts which I had in the house anyway. The only exception is the current state of my Koga Miyata Grantourer because of the modern (new) wheels in it. But I'll rebuild it a bit back in time because the classic parts function better for the TransRussia.
My workhorse, a Bioracer Stage, I bought in '97 and it served my since then perfectly. Parts probably were worth about 3000 Euro's (including the used ones), did 90.000km. So that turns out at 3,3e Eurocents/km.

Latest posts

Back