Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Google+

• Another bike site

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,came on the site to see how much and old bike was worth and then try and sell it, but now its turned into a restoration project. So in the last few days instead of making some extra cash I've spent a couple of hundred pounds on period xtr. I wonder how many people do the same?

Curse you retrobike!

Hi all,

I've got a couple of retro bikes:

1. Gary Fisher Hoo-koo-e-koo, which used to be a Trek 970, until I broke the frame, and transferred all the parts across to the warranty replacement supplied by Trek, which was a Hoo-koo-e-koo frame.

2. An early 90s Dawes Super Galaxy.

Hi there

Thought I'd join up as i've been browsing these pages a bit over the last month.

I've got a 1990 Kona Fire Mountain that I've owned from new, i think it was a present for my 14th birthday. It's had a lot of use over the years but has been hanging up in a cupboard in my flat for the last 5. Despite repeated calls from my other half to get rid of it can't bring myself to do so, so i've decided to restore it.

Will be no doubt be posting some questions about various things in due course so your help and knowledge will be greatly appreciated.

Allan

Hi

I found this site by Googling my bike.
I bought a Marin Eldridge Grade 1994 brand new for (IIRC) about £800. It was my third mountain bike, after a POS Raleigh and a reasonable Diamond Back.
I managed to destroy both previous bikes.

I loved the bike and rode it everywhere. I did a lot of Mountain Biking, long range off road endurance rides mainly, but a lot of off road in general.
The bike was reliable, strong, light, responsive. A thing of beauty.

I left the UK in 1999 and emigrated to Australia, I bought the bike with me.
I put on some slick tyres and used it to commute I also used it for a few triathlons.
We got married had kids and I put a child seat on the back.

About 2006 I stopped riding it and hung it up in the garage. Occasionally getting it out for rides with my children to the park.

Earlier this year I got back into cycling so I thought "will get new shiny mtb and get out into the hills"
So I ended up buying a new Giant XTC 2011 model (a beautiful bike) I took it out a lot, gave it a good chance, but it's just not the same.

Nothing wrong with the bike, but it's just not my Marin.
When I sit on my Marin it just becomes another part of me, you know that feeling?

Anyway so I have decided to restore my Marin and this seems like a good place to document it.

I took it down at the weekend and degreased/lubed the chain.
The shifters were not working, so I opened them up and lubed them with RocknRoll chain lube and they are working again (but probably need replaced)

So, were off... :twisted:

Ironwhippet on the radar

Hi there I am probably much like many here. Kid who grew up in the last recesssion and couldn't afford much other than the bus fare to go see the Axis TT and he Orange Vit T in the shops. Now I have a job I am hoping to get one. I have a mild case of OC DBR and all things AXIS APEX WCF are my thang.

Had chance at an AXIS TT last year and the guy backed out so now I am on the hunt.

Used to ride the Penines and then the Pentland Hills outside Edinburgh.

Sold lots on Ebay and have the usual old box of retro bits longing to be fitted and ridden.

Good to hear from anyone.

Cheers

Current ride:

AXIS TR Aluminium 7005 Frame Naked metal 1996
Full XT
Mavic 517 rims on XT parallax hubs
Controltech Scandium 99g stem
Controltech Carbon 126g seatpost
Race face carbon bar 151g
Exotic carbon forks 886g Still have original Manitou Comp 1
Flite Ti saddle
Sugino Impel crank
Royce Ti BB
24 speed XT rapid+

Total weight 9.2kg

will photo when I get good weather

What a quality forum, not kept up with the bike scene, so i dont understand half of what im looking at, this place is full of stuff i recognise!

Got an OE FSR Comp, looking to do some sympathetic upgrades and get some miles on it, and this strange fake wobbly belly off myself :roll:

Matt

Morning all,

Just a quick message to say hi!

New to the forum, recently into the retro side of thing. Been riding downhill and trails for a while, but a friend of mine is a retro hoarder and I guess a little has rubbed off on me.

Just bought a Kona Fire Mountain as my first retro ride. Will post pics on another thread as I'm interested in finding out what year it is.

Hope to get to know you all a little better, but in the mean time safe riding!

J

Barnefield Introduction!

Ok, my first topic, so let's introduce myself:

I started biking arround 1988/89 with a Batavus Buster (Dutch ).
After a couple of monts I swapted it for a Giant Terrago. So that's where the upgrading started
I also started racing and I had my own company, called Bike Pride of Europe, one of the first mail order companies in Europe. Greet time from 1992 - 1996. After that I worked for Vredestein Bicycle Tires and trained a lot with the Vredestein team. I stopped biking arround 2000 due to a lot of hobbies!

Well I started again 2 months ago and offcourse it will be Retro Style 1992-1996. See my other topic, building up a Klein Adroit Storm 1993!

Bikes:
Batavus Buster
Giant Terrago
Cannondale ?
Wheeler ?
Specialized Stumjumper Comp.
Klein Attitude Backfire
Merlin
Ventana
Klein Attitude Team 1996
And many many more...

Oldtimer! Just saying hello!

Hi All,

Second introduction for me today! Put the first one in the wrong place!

I'm a cyclist who likes both road and MTB bikes; and riding them.

Hope to become an active member. Oh, I'm loving this forum already.

Regards

Moss

Hi all, Proud owner of an Alpinestars Al-Mega DX and a (not so retro) Kona Cowan 2004.
I have owned the AS from new, during it's early life it spent many hours on the road commuting back and fore to my apprenticeship and a few hours off-road.
I only ever entered one Competition in Margam Park and would often use the local mountains for recreation. In general it is in good condition given it's vintage, having spend the best part of 10 years in my attic soon after i met my wife / had kids and didn't have much time to myself.
When the kids were a bit older i dragged the bike back out of the attic for bike path use started enjoying it again so bought a second hand Kona Cowan for the tough stuff as i didnt want to risk damaging my precious AS!

Attachments

• AS.jpg
    AS.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 1,065
  • Kona.jpg
    Kona.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 1,065
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back