Hope X2 adjustment issue

Giel

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Ha gents, got myself a small problem that I need some advice on: fitted a Hope X2 brake on a SID WC fork with Swiss DT240 hub. Thing is, there is not enough space to adjust the caliper properly (it needs to go 2-3mm more to the outside, but I have no slack left. It rubs the disc ever so gently, but it rubs. First I thought it'll go after a little ride, but after 3 hours pushing it on nice downhills (read: lots of brake use) it still rubs.

What does one do in such a case?

Do the the caliper mounts have different versions (apart from sizing for disc of course) that off-set the bolt holes for caliper fitting differently?

Or if not, what is the consensus on here about shaving a few mill of the mount?

I could of course take a file to the caliper, but I'd like to avoid that :)

Cheers, Giel

I take it you're ligning the caliper to the disc and not the disc to the gap between the pads?

You'll notice on the top of the caliper either side of the slot for the pads there is a line. This is the centre line that you line the disc to.

If not you can do it another way but others may question it.
Loosen both caliper bolts and apply the brake, this way the caliper will find its centre. Holding the brake on, re-tighten the bolts, now release the brake, finger crossed it will be ok, if not you might need to reset the pistons back into the caliper.
Check out www.hoptech.co.uk for a video of how to align your caliper. ;)

thanks Giant one, I am indeed trying to align the caliper to the disc, but no luck yet. Thanks for pointing out the hopetech site, I forgot about that. Ok, more pondering to do. It still seems to me I need more adjustment space then is available.

Cheers, Giel

1 metal file and 5 minutes working on the mount, the caliper now has sufficient space to be properly adjusted

Back