Clear Lacquering?

Unclejack

Retrobike Rider
Anyone know anyone round here who could clear lacquer a frame over repro stickers for me?
Is it possible to get a nice deep hard finish this way without baking it, or should i just go for rattle cans? Which, actually I'm allright at doing, it's just the time & when you work out the cost of the cans, might not be that much cheeper...

It depends what you are laquering over. You only get a small window between applying your base colour and laquering. Leave it more than 72 hours and you will get issues with the laquer peeling off. Forget trying to laquer over existing paint too. There will be far too many contaminants to do a proper job with good long term results. A pro can get round these issues with the right gear and knowledge, but a DIY job would be hit or miss at best.

A little more info on what your plans are and what current finish the bike has at the moment would be helpful.

from what people have said to me the thick vinyl decals (from Gil-m) for example are not so good for lacquering over as they are well, thick.

The waterslip type are much better as they are nice and thin and will have no noticeable edges.

But I've never tried.

Hmmm, thanks guys. Some good points made, just none of them were really what I wanted to hear at the moment! Think I just need to forget about it for now, move on and get out riding...

I agree with Si, I have been painting bike tanks and fairings recently for a mate of mine and we have found the best way is to apply your base colours as required then give it one good coat of lacquer to seal it in, let that cure for a day, give it a light rub down with a grey scotch brite, pre clean it with panel wipe then apply your decals with a little water, this gives you chance to reposition them and dispel any air bubbles without damaging the decals, all you need to do then is re lacquer :D :D :D

Back