Peugeot Galibier

Dushan Ivekich

Devout Dirtbag
Just thought I'd start a thread off about my little project, unfortunately I don't have the budget for full NOS period parts (or patience to wait for them to turn up!) to go to town and make it perfect, so I'll have to cut a few corners.

This is how it started, not too bad, certainly no basket case, but in need of a decent fettle:

IMG_2990-1.jpg

The only snag I'm facing is with the brakes, I've bought a set of 600 short drop brakes, the front one should fit but the rear doesn't, looks like I'll need to fashion a drop bolt/bracket.

I've got a pair of Mavic MA2s on 105 hubs just being trued up and checked over at the shop (no patience for wheel tinkering I'm afraid) no money for new tyres so they'll have to wear the Panaracer 700x26's that came with. Other stuff is mainly 600, chainset, mechs etc brake levers are cheapies for the minute as I can't run to a pair of 600 levers.

I'll have to re-use the Stronglight post, ATAX stem and Philippe bars as well, I should be able to polish them up though, at least.

Frame is away at the powder coaters and the decals are in the post, I've gone for a plain silver, I hope it turns out ok :?

More pics as and when. Be gentle, whilst I've fettled before I've never done a retro/period (ish) rebuild, I know there will be parts that don't quite match but I'm actually building it to use so I'm not too worried.

Cheers.

What decals are you putting on it? Is it like for like.
600 was good kit.
If you're going to the trouble of powder coating the frame i would get all the 600 series on it. Won't take too long to accumulate.

Once it comes back looking spanky bet you will go down the route of doing it justice.

Must have been a few different versions of the Galibier. I had one with 501 tubes and chrome front forks. The paint job was a charcoal grey with coloured stripes here and there. The running gear was Shimano 600 non index. Atax seat post with internal expander bolt ( no seat clamp bolt ). Happy days, trundling around the Odenwald and Shwarzwald.

Yes I think the Galibier was carried over for a few years, mine is a later one, 1988 I think.

The decals are the same to a point, they're the same standard Peugeot decals and coloured stripes but they're for a different model so I don't have a 'Galibier' decal, but I don't mind.

This has a 531 sticker on it but I don't believe that it is so I'll be replacing it with a 501 sticker.

I don't think it's a particularly high end model, so I'm actually thinking of leaving the 600 stuff for a better build and just cleaning up the original brakes and chainset and refitting them.

As for the powder coat, it's not really any trouble to go to, just strip it down and drop it off at the blasters, £30 later and you have a reasonable looking f&f. If it was a higher end model I'd have it enamelled properly at a frame builders.

Thanks for the comments

I haven't seen a yellow Pug before. Personally I'd have kept it yellow or even kept the frame and decals intact, but I'm sure it will look nice anyhow.

To be honest it's a horrible muddy yellow, like a mustard, plus there are quite a few scrapes and rust showing through so I decided it would be better just getting it blasted and coated.

I actually picked the frame up today from the blasters, I decided on silver but it hasn't come out how I expected and looks more grey than silver, oh well :?

Stripped, cleaned and polished the brakes, polished the stem and bars ready to go back on. I'll get the headset put in tomorrow and get it partially built up with a few pics. Still waiting for a BB, cassette and a few other odds and sods before it's ready though.

Had a decent day putting most of it together, it's a strange colour. It looks grey from a distance but is actually silver close up, oh well the decals should make it look a bit better when they arrive.

I'm also not decided on the saddle, I have the Rolls in the picture or a brown Brooks Swift.

IMG_3011.jpg

Back