Ground Control / FSR Shock sizes

Bullpup

Senior Retro Guru
As I am keen to start building my 98 FSR Pro, I am tackling the last major job (I hope!) - the rear shock.

I had thought about getting the unit - a Fox Vanilla TC rebuilt but the prices are somewhat scary so I thought about a good used version from Fleabay.

I had thought that these bikes all used a 165mm eye to eye shock but I have just measured mine at 155mm.

This begs the questions is this correct or in the past has someone slid a different unit in? Will a 165mm fit?

As is to be expected there is play in the bushes - at what point will new spacers be required - and where other than BETD?

Many thanks

Can you extend the shock to 165mm? Pretty sure that it should be around 165mm.

If it is 155mm then the extra 10mm's will jack the back end up a little. These could be corrected with a BETD linkage though. Might have to run a slightly longer fork though to even out the front end.

No sorry it won't extend any further. A bit of a pita.

Just checked it - it does have a 38mm stroke thought :?

GC FSRs of that era are defo a 165mm i2i.
unless you get an upgraded BED rear end in which case it'll be more.

did you buy it 2nd hand ?

No - came on the frame. Having spoken to Mojo it is probably original and I should start by simply uprating the spring at present.

Anyone got a 1050 spring please?

interesting, mine and alot of others came equiped with 165mm i2i rock shox deluxe. infact most ive seen came with the rock shox.

a 165 should fit without having issues.

Latest posts

Back