New to Biking and the area

CaptainSlow

Retro Newbie
Hi everyone I have recently been given a '98 GT LTS4000 by my brother and have decided to start using it. I have recently moved to Widdrington Station and was looking for advice on best places to go for a newbie like me.

Hi there,

You are just up the road from a small cluster of Retrobikers. Drewson, Lardlover, Sithlord, Alpwilli, Simonside Resident, Nayfinesse, Uphillcursing and myself all live within 10 miles plus there is a good few.. P20, Salty, Toons and co down in Newcastle. We usually ride once a month and work permitting on a weeknight.
Some cracking stuff round here, Thrunton and Simonside being obvious choices but also some good stuff nearer- in fact there is a canny ride we do that goes through Widdrington Station. One of our winter rides starts from the pub at Widdrington and takes the dunes up to Amble where we stuff our chops with fish and chips before returning for a couple of pints. Its a good ride as the dunes ride well even in the worst weather.

I've been busy at work over the last few months so have missed the night rides, but should be out again soon. Keep one eye on the Thrunton nightrides thread for local stuff. Also worth checking out the local group The Muddybums. Good guys who always welcome newbies along.

Si

welcome to retrobike.

keep your eye on this area section as there is a fair amount of rides in the making for the remainder of 2011 and throughout 2012!

join in! any planned ride is well set up and all fitness levels allowed for. it incorporates good fun, fresh air and a general appreciation of pre'97 off-road bikes. im sure you will enjoy the aftermath threads on previous rides. there is no 'clique' just turn up and you will receive a warm welcome. the use of a suitable helmet is mandatory but, feel free to wear dodgy neon lycra or bermuda shorts ;)

there is some members up your way that may be able to advise on local routes to enjoy.

although retro bikes are heavily featured, modern machines are welcome, just stop and let us catch up every now and then ;)

Hi

Thanks guys I am just working on my fitness levels at the moment what sort of length are these rides I am doing roughly 7 miles everyday road work from Widdy station past the quarry down to Widdrington inn then back to station.

7 miles a day is more than some of us get to do in a week. So you'll be fine and dandy.

You've met Dr S, so you're in good hands up there

Hi

Its crippling me doing that though I may need advice on setting up my bike too as I have a knackered middle ring but am being sent a replacement so I am doing all these miles without the middle 8 gears which coming up hill is a crippler!!

Re: Hi

NorthumbrianNewbie":3f3fva6s said:
Thanks guys I am just working on my fitness levels at the moment what sort of length are these rides I am doing roughly 7 miles everyday road work from Widdy station past the quarry down to Widdrington inn then back to station.

We do between 10-20 miles on a night but it depends. Its all pretty steady away as we are all usually knackered from work- the focus is on the social side more than anything. Seven miles a day is more than most of us get, so when your bike is fettled I'm sure you will be fine. No one gets left behind and there are plenty of stops for a blether.

Have you got any lights sorted?

Cheers
Si

yeah, keep an eye on this and other meet threads, we get out and about!

check the aftermath posts for what you can be involved in, awesome scenery, great bikes and even better company.

There are a few threads on here discussing lights. The deal extreme ones are popular and not too expensive.

Back