Roberts rebuild - show me yours for inspiration

Small update:

Bike is at the framebuilder, a small shop called M-gineering (http://www.m-gineering.nl/)

They will add the disctab and clean up the rearend. After some thought and discussion with some folks, I decided to forgo the crud-catcher mounts on the down tube as this is likely to weaken the frame excessively in an area that sees some of the highest stress.

The front-end will most likely see new fork legs with disc tab, powder-coated same color as the frame, or, preferably, nickel-plated, and fitted to a Pace RC30 crown.

Color was a difficult choice, B&W suits the bike really well, but seeing how fashionable that color scheme is nowadays I decided to go with something else: a powder-coat of ral7001 (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...CDgQBSgA&q=ral+7001&spell=1&biw=1920&bih=1070)

So now it's parts collection time. Most is already sorted, a nice mix of m900, XT thumbies, Pace rings on middleburn cranks.

Choices have to be made on brakes and wheels. I would like to keep the bike British (to some extent) and take Hope or Royce disc hubs. I am also quite taken with the new Hope X2s

Would be nice to hear some opinions on stems and seatposts for this bike. Headset is 1", and the only nice stem I've found so far (and also what I ran before on this bike) is a syncros ahead. It looks pretty good and fits with the silver Syncros seatpost. However, seeing I like to keep this British, what would be nice stem alternatives, without losing the ahead system?

Cheers, Giel

Pace RC45 is a nice stem, not sure if they did 1" though
For seatpost, USE or X-lite maybe
Can't wait to see the final result :D

I had a Pace RC45 on mine (just sold it though, sorry) - but it was a 1 1/8" shimmed down to 1" - worked a dream.

Loving those! yours are looking a little more finised than mine. I have a 89 white spider 753, but when I tripped the paint I found cracks in the seatube and BB. So I am rebuilding. judging from yours it will be worth all the effort:

robertsst.jpg

roberts%20bb.jpg.opt420x315o0,0s420x315.jpg

I am also building a replica roberts pug from scract but am realising that all thing roberts are practically impossible to replicate. I think this is the difference between a at home frame builder and the Master himself.

Are all frame builders swamped with work, or is being slow a prerequisite to become one? :)

Progress has been slooow on this, but the metal work is done and the frame is en-route to the paint shop :)

Changes: the original triple cable stops on the top-tube have been reduced to double and brake hose guides have been added. Front derailleur pully mount removed and of course a disc tab has been added.

DSC_7589.jpg

The plan was to convert the RC30 forks to disc, but the alu dropouts are crimp fitted and hard to remove. The framebuilder is now making new fork legs (Accutrax style) that will be nickle plated and fitted to the Pace fork crown. Hopefully ready in a few more weeks :p

Back