1999 Orange Patriot - caution jammy b'stard content

Dickyboy

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Mates just been given this & yes before you ask it is as immaculate as it looks & yes I did say given :twisted: Been sat in a garage for maybe 9 years without being touched & looks shop fresh almost.

Only problem with it is the Formula rear brake was seized on, Formula dealing bike shop says can't get any spares & I can see an awful lot of faffing with the old ones & still get nowhere with them. Mate is happy to buy new brakes for it which is no problem until you come to the rear disc - it's a 140mm 4 bolt :evil: The front is a 180 - which should be fine with modern calipers?

Was originally thinking of slapping some SLX with 180F & 160R rotors, where do I go from here? Are the Formula brakes worth messing with? Is it possible to get 160mm dia 4 bolt discs? What alternative 140mm caliper could I get for the rear?

Also, the rear sus seems to have a very slow rebound - will that most likely be sticky damper or bearing.

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    187.3 KB · Views: 1,394
:shock:

Dont a2z do 4 bolt rotors?

Otherwise go with the brakes you suggested? and keep the 140mm rotor with a correct mount?

Hmm someone at my workplace has recently gone from 140 to 160 but cant remember his setup!

Think it was caliper straight onto frame though so probably not to post.
Is that a post mount brake?

Edit:
Dickyboy":2lxptoyk said:
Does that mean there are IS to post adaptors available for 140 rotors?

Although im sure these exist? A2Z? There was a discussion recently where this was mentioned and deemed to be non existant but im sceptical.

I know the XTR m965 calipers are different front & back & if you put a front caliper on a rear IS frame it will suit a 140mm rotor.

I think this might be as simple as using a front adaptor for IS forks to post mount caliper for 160 rotor - but use it on the rear instead :) fingers crossed

the hope mono (black and gold caliper) come in rear i.s. fitment for 140mm discs ;) it would even work with the disc fitted :cool:

Cheers all, gona try it with the various shimano adaptors & brakes I have this weekend & see where we get. :)

Back