1988 Marin Pine Mountain

HarryCrumb

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I just thought I'd start a thread with one of my current projects, my 1988 Marin Pine Mountain.

I have had an interest in the first few years of Marin for some time and when benandemu ended up with two of these in the same week and one of them was my size (period correct size that is) I couldn't pass up the opportunity to take ownership.

well here are a few pictures of what I am starting with.

P9211940.jpg

P9211923.jpg

P9211926.jpg

P9211927.jpg

P9211929.jpg

P9211928.jpg

P9211925.jpg

P9211924.jpg

P9211933.jpg

P9211938.jpg

P9211936.jpg

I've never seen that decal design before. That's freshhh. Is this the original fork?
I wish someone would upload the missing marin catalogues from the 80ties.
I will follow this thread with great interest:!:

juice":sf2p7wc8 said:
I've never seen that decal design before. That's freshhh. Is this the original fork?
I wish someone would upload the missing marin catalogues from the 80ties.
I will follow this thread with great interest:!:

Yes there is very little information on 1987 and 1988 Marins

there must have been adverts in old magazines etc, there are a couple of scans in the catalogue scan forum but not much to go on.

I will be going for a full restoration on this one, as a lot of the decals are missing, it will be built with the full MT60 Deore group, with the exception of an MT62 Deore-II rear hub.

not sure on the forks, as Joe Murray designed the frame maybe the forks were from him? either way they are very early Spinner Project Twos

So Mr Crumb.....the resto race is on! :D Heres my 16"er.

Despite the rust spots it actually shows very little signs of use or wear. Came with the original Panaracer IBEX tyres which have 90% tread left..not sure they would last more than 100m on the road though.

Progress so far....Front wheel rebuilt mt60 hub/RM20. Mechs given a wipe over with a damp cloth :D (see photo...I have bought NOS stuff in worse condition). Stem resprayed and new decals courtesy of Mr Gil_M.

P9221072.jpg

P9221070.jpg

P9221066.jpg

P9221086.jpg

P9221085.jpg

oooh Anstark, have you thought about this :shock: :shock: :shock:

Mr Crumb doesnt rush builds, he sits and waits and watches, he has been known to wait years to finish a build waiting for an authentic screw or bolt, he travels the globe hunting down NOS parts using sense of smell alone.

he has been known to have them rebuild factories and reinstall production lines and hire the original workers just to source one small component.

oh if you do want to race him and win, dont tell him your racing and dont do it uphill ;) or downhill or on the flat for that matter

Nice work on the stem finish

That also confirms my thought on why the lugs were used on the Pine Mountain, but not on the Palisades, it will be the thinner Tange Prestige tubing on the Pine Mountain which required lugs, as they weren't that good at welding thin tubes cheaply back then.

I'd like to see you other decals at some point, I asume they are of the same standard and colour as the stem decal.

ha ha ....Charlieboy....I wouldn't be so presumptive as to dare to challenge a master like Mr Crumb!
:D

Yes one of the early Prestige frames......that distinctive 'ting', still weighed the wrong side of 30lbs though.

I will take a photo of the other decals tomorrow and add them to the thread.

Back