Falcon Team Banana

This is the graded handlebar tape, which I am far too precious about, it goes from yellow at the ends to white in the middle of the bars. I've never found anyone selling new yellow/white tape, so I'm always very cautious about getting it grubby.

By the way can people actually see these pictures? If I go onto retrobike without logging in I can't see any pictures on this post but when I log in they seem to be there.

Attachments

• Tape.jpg
    Tape.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 9,587
Banana

Hi folks, I've recently acquired a Banana, and I want to restore it to as near original as I can. However, I can't budge the handlebar stem to remove and clean it (the bars have rust under the tape, though how on alloy bars defeats me lol). And the stem is "welded" into the steel down tube.
Also, the bar tape is "shot it". Is original tape available? Or should I just source basic yellow or white? Finally...decals. I need to rub down the frame to remove rust in certain areas. After repainting, I would like to replace the decals.
Thanks for your time and advice, Dave.

Re: Banana

Penfold":1jz99xpb said:
Also, the bar tape is "shot it". Is original tape available? Or should I just source basic yellow or white? ....

mb_0_70_l__ms1.jpg

Yes, Pelten shaded bar tape is still for sale.

Brand is Ciclolinia

http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... f&Enum=103

Wow--- amazing, quick reply..thanks.
Am looking into it as we speak, :D Now, the decals and "stuck stem"???.... ;) ;)

Have given up on the stem. This is going to be more trouble than it's worth. Just the decals now.....am going for ordinary tape too, as this cicolinia is lovely, but can I heck find any yellow/white? (Red's easy to get lol). Can't wait to get it finished now- so close etc :D

Penfold, if your has Sakae Road Champion bars then they are steel. Mine has them and I've just checked and found that they are magetic.
Have you tried plenty of penetrating oil on the stem? You could also try turning it upside down and putting oil in that way too.

Thanks Swos, Raleigh Team Banana's came first, then they switched their frame supplier to Falcon and that's when they started winning [Ha!]. I've seen a few plain yellow FTB's as well as yellow and white and think that they may have started on the yellow and white after they started winning milk races- you know as a kind of pun.

Also a team kit is on EBay now http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Retro ... 336ce14bc4

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back