Club Roost overhaul

volvot5turbo

Retro Newbie
Hi all, new to the forum as I now have my own retrobike. I also own a Hardrock Pro but have just bought my brother's Club Roost which I intend to modify mildly.

First step is to strip down and replace the shock for an air shock (already sourced on here from a kind member) and have also got myself a set of Marzocchi forks (again, sourced today on here ;) )

I want to powder coat or anodise the frame but unsure of which and indeed what colours to go for. I like white though.....also wanna anodise the bolts in purple and other items in black (bar, seat post, calipers etc), including the wheels......also, polish the linkage in high chrome finish

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated ;)

Thanks,
Giles.

Attachments

• 310146_289812337699014_100000107509397_1335855_2028601321_n.jpg
    310146_289812337699014_100000107509397_1335855_2028601321_n.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 1,080
OOOoooo we really need to start a club now i reckon!!

If you like white you will be hard pushed to get anodized white.

There is a guy with a dh8 on pinkbike with a white one which i could find pictures for if you like?

White and purple :twisted: Always wanted white and purple. I however dont think it will go so well on this frame. I reckon an electric blue (no, not just because i want mine that colour too!).
Reckon your options are powder coat or paint for the frame at least.

Whats the intended spec? What shock have you acquired?

Welcome

cyfa2809":139k2p1h said:
OOOoooo we really need to start a club now i reckon!!

If you like white you will be hard pushed to get anodized white.

There is a guy with a dh8 on pinkbike with a white one which i could find pictures for if you like?

White and purple :twisted: Always wanted white and purple. I however dont think it will go so well on this frame. I reckon an electric blue (no, not just because i want mine that colour too!).
Reckon your options are powder coat or paint for the frame at least.

Whats the intended spec? What shock have you acquired?

Welcome

Hi Cyfa2809 and thanks for the welcome :)

i meant powder coat in white or anodised in a different colour so my bad there......white frames look ace, but I suppose that all depends on the geometry of the frame too.......if you could find the pics i would really appreciate it ;) Blue bolts or even red would look good with white too......maybe even the discs in blue too? Spec is not going to be all that high to be honest as price is the issue and it may come to a stage where it will cost more in parts than a complete new bike......although my brother (and he will confirm) has already done a few pricey upgrades some time ago (titanium seat post, bars, discs etc).

The shock is an Ario one (unsure of which type) but the Roost presently is really springy and with my lack of stamina, is really hard going on even the mildest of gradients.....

So white frame and swing arm, polished chrome linkage (pivot?), blue/red or purple anodised discs, bolts, black powder or anodised posts, bars calipers etc.....

Thanks,
Giles.

Here it is, think hes got just a bit much white going on there.
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/6822350/

White/Red
White/Blue
White/Purple
White/Black all go well i guess you just have to get the balance right.

I noticed the brakes, floating hope caliper. Good retro brakes they are.

I have an ario on one of my roosts, yet to test it though. You may need new mount hardware for it as do i!

Polished linkage would work but would be good to tie it in. Fresh colour scheme could go anywhere :LOL:
May as well refresh the bearings when you come to do it aswell.

This is my old bike. :D Now replaced with a Spec Camber FSR Comp. :cool: I'm glad it's stayed in the family, I don't have room to keep it and I couldn't bring myself to break it. :cry:

I'd go with white and red anodising as it will match the Hope stuff already on the bike.
cyfa> have you got the decals sorted yet? I reckon chrome and red chrome would look the business on a white frame.
bruv> you can't anodise the existing bolts, you will need to change them for aluminium in low stress areas and titanium or stainless in high stress areas.

Thanks for the link...it looks more gunmetal grey unless my screen is playing up lol......I am after a gloss 'bling' white, crisp like the antartic ;)

Trial an error may play a part......

i was unaware the shock would not fit straight in.....the reason i bought it (and this is not the sellers fault) was that is was the same length? Even so, shouldn't take much to rectify if it's not a smooth transplant?

Doomanic":1fotbgcr said:
bruv> you can't anodise the existing bolts, you will need to change them for aluminium in low stress areas and titanium or stainless in high stress areas.

lol ok - I knew that - was making the post easier.....i was gonna re-source the correct bolts already anodised, but that would have taken more of a write-up ;) looks like i have had to do that anyway lol

Just needs bushes the right size, easy enough to sort. Once the shock turns up we can take all the measurements.

Doomanic":so3pcoez said:
Just needs bushes the right size, easy enough to sort. Once the shock turns up we can take all the measurements.

It should have come to work today, but being off sick, I shall have it to look foward to tomorrow hopefully :)

Doomanic":10rfx0e3 said:
This is my old bike. :D Now replaced with a Spec Camber FSR Comp. :cool: I'm glad it's stayed in the family, I don't have room to keep it and I couldn't bring myself to break it. :cry:

I bloody knew i recognised it :LOL:
The shock is the right length yes but needs the new hardware as above. Which i cant find anywhere! I need someone to machine me some :?

No decals yet :LOL: Working on it.

Back