Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Update 14/04/16 Revamp with IF skinny steel forks

IFthird3.jpg

Update 25/03/12 nearly completed build pics at the end of page 2:

IndyFab_99perc_009.jpg

I spotted this frameset in German e-bay of all places, wanted it but had a rrare moment of self control, my Curtlo is soo nice.
And then it didn't sell .... and I lost my resolve. The seller is the German Importer who showed this bike at Eurobike, raced it and offered it up for magazine tests.
Comments from IFrider.com: "This was orginally built at the end of 2008 for Eurobike, not ridden too much, shown a lot. The Niner fork is painted to match."

So this first build will be my interpretation of the ultimate Dutch flatlands racey hardtail. Light, with classic lines and faast.
This is an intermediate stage that allows for fit-up and checking out of some of the options, and pictures of course:

IF_29er_016.jpg

Set up is 1x10 with a 38t "MonoVeloce" and a Rohloff guide up front, XT 11-36 cassette

IF_29er_013.jpg

The inetrmediate stage shows my intentions, and when my arm improves a proper test ride, but there is still some updates to come.

IF_29er_010.jpg

Unusual for me this has skinny tires :shock:. The 10D handlebar stretches the cockpit.
I was surprised the 11-36 cassette has 2t gaps from the off, will find out if that works out off-road.
I was also surprised when I weighed it :D less is more and some updates still to come

Speclist as pictured:

Frame: Independent Fabrication Steel Deluxe 29er FLW
forks: Niner Carbon in King Sotto Voce
gears: SRAM X9 10v
brakes: Formula Oro K24 with Hope rotors 180mm
steering: Thomson X4, Ritchey WCS carbon 10D, ODI Ruffians
seating: Race Face XY pen, U.S.E. zadel en klem
drive: Race Face Turbines, 38t Blackspire Mono Veloce,
American Classic ISIS BB, WTB Stealth pedals
cassette & chain: Shimano XT with Rohloff guide
wheels: Mavic Speedcity met Furious Fred 2.0s en SV19 biba
Extra's: U.S.E. Spinstix en Space R's

Compleet as pictured 9,58kg not bad at all yes, steel is real ....

Plans: wheels and brakes, post and stem, patience with Royal Mail.

Enjoy!!

IF_29er_012.jpg

:shock:

That is gobsmakingly lovely :cool: :cool:

I personally think there are only a few skinny steel tubed frames that suit the carbon niner fork ........ better add this IF to the pile ;)

I bet you cannot wait to get out on the trails :D

If I hadn't just bought a 29er frame I would ask what was happening to the Curtlo :shock:

Harryburgundy":18c7fgv7 said:
Gorgeous...apart from the fork...personally I don't think it suits the skinny steel tubing

Pfft .... what do you know about fancy-fancy bikes :LOL:

After coming back to this build I have to say IF do seemed to have managed to disguise the fact its a 29er really very well - not that being a 29er is a bad thing :p

Awesome! I also agree about the fork but it is meant to be one of the best in the business. Post and saddle change would be a good visual upgrade :cool:

Thanks guys,

I guess it is par for the course on this forum that the Niner fork splits opinion. Personally, I like the looks of this set, it is a modern bike no two ways about it. And FWIW I also fancied the Singular Pegasus Ti 29er with the Niner forks when those pictures were out. A characterfull blend of modern Bike-tech and traditional craftsmanship.

Plus I'm curious about the ride. I've been riding rigid steel 29ers dince 4 years or so, and both my Singular Swift and Curtlo had nice steel forks. Now let's fuind out how the will fare by comparison.

Meanwhile I'm having a hard time not being fit to take it out for a proper shakedown ride. But I'm recovering from a broken arm that is screwed together with some custom titanium hardware duh. It'll be a few weeks before I go off-road and more likely fully suspended than rigid when I do.

Enjoy!!

PS Mark, the Curtlo is inevitably going to be for sale, but I resist the idea ...

Where did you get your Monoveloce from? I've tried UK Distributor and Dutch distributor and neither can help?...I need 5 Bolt 94BCD for my Race Face Cranks.

claret73":15lu2u2f said:
Where did you get your Monoveloce from? I've tried UK Distributor and Dutch distributor and neither can help?...I need 5 Bolt 94BCD for my Race Face Cranks.

Have you tried Jensons? Good international service :)

Latest posts

Back