Raleigh RSP 853 FRS - Welsh connection p4...

We_are_Stevo":320sfkxx said:
Quickly thrown together lash-up to give an idea what it's going to look like...

P1040226.jpg

...Mavic Crossrides (cheers northerndave :D ) with WTB ALL-TERRAINasaurus tyres, (Mr Wing'd)Judy XC fork, Syncros stem/bar/ends combo, Thomson seatpost and MaxFlite saddle.

I was considering colour-matching the fork to the frame but now I'm thinking I like it how it is... :cool:

Looking good Stevo :cool:

Is it a need sunglasses to look at it bright? :D

How does the travel match up? That's all I'd think with the forks. Judy XCs are 80mm? And rear is 4 inch?

Looks nice built up though. They are a lot brighter in the flesh then photos arent they!

Yes, it's a bright yellow'y orange - I did put the orange Ourys on initially but they clashed horribly; I shall probably go with Ritchey TrueGrips for now...

The XC may be an 80mm at the moment but I shall put in the 20mm extensions that come with the 'Wings' kit to even things up again - and hope they don't go too flexy!

Re: I've gone all Patriotic - no, not an Orange!

We_are_Stevo":2022jilg said:
Took delivery today of what will have to be the last addition to my project list! :oops:

It's just the frame and shock, with the original seatpost, seat, stem and bars but having seen this...

raleigh.jpg

..I think I've just found a use for my Syncros stem/bar/bar end combo and Thomson seatpost :cool:

I thinking it will be mainly XT, Mavic Crossrides, Tioga tyres and a colour-matched Judy XC fork - though these things do have a habit of developing a momentum of their own!

Lovin' what you have done. BTW the Gold BS6102 sticker on the down tube shows that it left Raleigh Special Products a a "Raleigh Freeride" model in either 1997 or 98. The forks as fitted were Rockshox triple clamps 100mm travel and the "Tango tuned" sticker refers to a process where we sent a frame to Rockshox in San Jose and they tweaked both the shock and the forks to work together. All shocks and forks were then sent to us with the same spec.

lovin it so far spot on! the forks look great that colour, no need to match them to the frame!

Re: I've gone all Patriotic - no, not an Orange!

bikemeister2000":1es13i4g said:
Lovin' what you have done. BTW the Gold BS6102 sticker on the down tube shows that it left Raleigh Special Products a a "Raleigh Freeride" model in either 1997 or 98. The forks as fitted were Rockshox triple clamps 100mm travel and the "Tango tuned" sticker refers to a process where we sent a frame to Rockshox in San Jose and they tweaked both the shock and the forks to work together. All shocks and forks were then sent to us with the same spec.

Hi, thanks for the excellent history - great to know what it all means; I thought it looked rather 'freeride' when I tried the stem, bar and saddle in the pic above. If I still had the Judy triple-clamps I had on my Saracen DH bike I'd have been tempted to fit them. As it is I prefer the XC look and perhaps the Judy XC will be ok in this guise at 80mm?

Also, do you remember what chainset it would have left the factory with?

I'd ideally like to fit something with alloy cranks and black chainrings?

Decided to go with M757 mech's cos they're black & alloy - chainset I'll await recommendations but I'm leaning towards Raceface at present?

I think the pic with the Syncros seat post ahnd the Orange Rockshox looks great. V tempted to do that to mine once I can get to it !

Perhaps put on a pair of Spinergy wheels too :)

What with all the photo's of these popping up in other threads I thought I'd put a few parts together on mine...

GEDC0294.jpg

...I started of with the 100mm travel fork and steadily got shorter until I decided I preferred the look of the shortest afterall! :eek:

So, this is the definitive rolling chassis; I was tempted to go with the 100mm fork and a riser bar on a shorter stem, but I'm 52 this
year and I just dont do DH bikes any more (got a photo' of my Saracen Team DH somewhere but I'd be embarrassed to post it! :oops: ).

I have virtually everything to complete this build now, apart from the brakes; so if anyone has a set of Cane Creek Direct Curve V's
they'd like to move on then please drop me a PM... :)

last & project were mentioned at one point .................

btw there was a red one of these outside my local council offices up till the start of this year ,its all generalized allez/sirrus/rockhoppers now
ctw scheme i guess

NICE.

You got a saddle then? ;)

Not for sale I'm afraid, but I just fitted Cane Creek Direct Curve 3's to my Bigfoot and they work well. I did try them on my White Spder, and they looked terrible, much too beefy, but on a fat tube frame they look great.

Back