boy"O"boy's Alpinestars AL-Mega DX

boy"O"boy":acr4hr1h said:
Rio":acr4hr1h said:
seems like you have lots of experience doing your own paintjobs (?)
If you would ride this bike hard, how would the paint hold up?

I did work in a body shop a long time ago (not very long tho), so I have some experience in sanding, filling dents and stuff, some welding, some painting. Would love to do my own paintjob once, but I'm affraid it won't hold. Do you use profesional gear for your paintjob?

Hi Rio. :D
This bike won't get riden 'hard' due to the repair it has had on the top tube. My Orange Aluminium 'O's both get abuse though and the paint has stood up really well, I found a clearcoat or Lacquer on top of the graphics is better preserving the vinyl cuts.
I'm fortunate enough to work in a car design studio so the paint is applied by a guy who is used to painting showcars and clays - his work is absolutely spot on. My Aluminium frames are nitromor stripped, sandblasted, then etch primed before any coats are applied. Some of the Pearlescents involve a 3 part process too. I leave the paint to the pros... although I do make the graphics myself and did the spannering on this one myself too. :D

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

thanks for the info! Because of the halfords fluor yellow I wondered about the rest of the paintjob (home or pro). It looks spot on, so I was interested in the fact if you were a very good amateur painter, a pro, or had it done by a pro.
I sometimes see people who do their own painting, and I'm always wondering how those frames look like after 2 years of use. I can amagine how satisfying this can be, so sometimes think of just trying it on an old frame. Maybee next summer then :D

boy"O"boy":38cgv36j said:
...and this one!

A bit of messing around with the effects in Photoshop. Been using it as my screen saver!

Also. Get Pedalin' Colchester listed as my local Alpinestars dealer. Shop now long gone.

cheers,
boy"O"boy

Love the ad. That al mega is the one I'd shell out for now. first gen cro-mega lx was all I could stretch to in '90.... Mountain High gone too but I still remember the smell of the shop (is that weird?)

Re:

Hi everyone. Sorry to drag up such an old thread but I've got a very similar Alpinestars Al-Mega DX, but it's the previous years model with standard chain stays. It has matching Fluro Answer attack stem, Answer 3degree bars. XT headset, XT BB, XT thumb shifters or the original DX rapid fired and XT pedals with clips and Straps. Wheels were upgraded (I worked in a local bike shop at the time for 6 years) to Mavic m7cd's. The whole bike is in really good condition, couple of paint chips round the drop outs etc but nothing terrible at all. Not a big forum user or eBay user - what's the best way of valuing / selling ? Thanks. Christian christianmalin (At) bt Internet (dot) com

Re:

Hello! Best place for a valuation is in the 'What's my XYZ worth' section in retro chat. It's at the top of the page. ;)

Great bike and wonderful job of restoring it!

I think it would stand out better if you made black to gray background in those pictures.

Back