boy"O"boy's Alpinestars AL-Mega DX

Awesome looking bike :cool: . Love those colours, and it is also one i would love to own/ride/leave in the back bedroom. ;)

Cheers...Nick

Yeah, can't fault the workmanship - it's stunning. I just thought it was a lot of work for a Garage Queen, though having seen the latest post above I 'get it...' now ;)

Re: Wow

Tc":98hr1jde said:
Stunning absolutely stunning!
Give us a parts breakdown though!

TC

Cheers TC! :cool: - apologies for the delay. Here goes-

Frame: 19" 1991 Alpinestars Al-Mega DX
Respray in pearlescent white ( Iosis X showcar colour!)
Neon yellow 'bands' ( Halfords can x3 )
Reproduction Graphics - neon pink/matt black overlay.
Clearcoated finish to seal.

Fork: Alpinestars 'CRO-MO' blades 1 1/4"
Respray in neon yellow as above. Reproduction graphics.

Headset: Black 1 1/4" 'no name' - parts bin special with Alpinestars cable hanger.

Stem: Answer ATAC 1 1/4" Neon yellow respray. reproduction graphics.

Handlebar: Answer Taperlite. Original neon yellow. *thanks to brocklanders023*

Grips: Ritchey rubber. NOS

Brakes: Deore DX cantilever F+R *thanks to Sinnett177*

Brake Pads: Black 'Aztec' New on front. Came with cantilevers.

Brake Cables: Wiggle

Cantilever cable hangers: Alpinestar OEM

Brake Levers: Deore XT SLR. Combined STI units

Shifters: Deore XT SLR. Combined STI units - ebay

Front Derailleur: Deore DX. Alpinestars mounting bolt. *thanks to RAFbikes for mech, Sinnett177 for bolt*

Rear Derailleur: Deore DX short cage. *thanks again to RAFbikes*

Derailleur Cables: Wiggle

Cassette: Shimano? - came with wheelset

Chain: Shimano HG70 - new from Wiggle

Chainset. Deore DX - ebay

Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN54 68mm x 118mm

Pedals: Shimano Deore XT 'flatcage'. NOS Mt. Christophe toeclips and black straps * thanks to Major22 for the pedals*

Hub Skewers: Deore XT 'rubber handle'

Rims: Mavic M261CD

Hubs: Deore DX

Spokes: DT Swiss

Tyres: Tioga 'Psycho2' amberwall - came with wheelset *thanks to Taffy*

Tubes: Bontrager 'presta'

Saddle: Selle Italia 'Flite' titanium *thanks to Mike S*

Seatpost: Shannon 31.6mm x 330mm. *thanks to thesneaker*

Seatpost Binder: Alpinestars

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

boy"O"boy":2i4dnldn said:
We_are_Stevo":2i4dnldn said:
boy"O"boy":2i4dnldn said:
At some point in it's life, there had been a small lengthways fracture in the top tube that had been repaired.
Unfortunately, to get to the bare metal, they'd taken an angle grinder to a localised area and had ground several flat spots on the tube. This would have thinned the wall thickness in this area. :cry:

The rest of the frame was sound and straight though so I decided to continue with a full 'original spec' resto, although when finished it would be a garage queen rather than a 'rider'

Just seems a shame to go to all that effort and expense then just look at it... :?

Each to their own I guess?

Hi all. :D

Thanks for all your responses. All critique welcome...

A few points if I may-

The bike is certainly not unridable. I had a late night spin round the block on it when it was done ( didn't need lights! :LOL: ) and let a couple of the lads at work have a spin round the car park once the studio shots had been done.
I think the confusion here is my definition of 'rider'
Like Raging_Bulls suggests - this would be absolutely fine for a towpath trail for example. The thing is, my definition of a 'rider' would be to turn up at a retrobike meet / national points series / mountain mayhem and earn your 'retrobike rider status' my giving your latest build a bit of punishment. Failure of latest and greatest would not only be potentially dangerous, you'd also get a fair about of ribbing from the other riders. :LOL: .... Witness my free hub failure at Cannock chase. Mark did a great trail side repair but my ride was over. I knew it was faulty but I thought 'it'll last out".

Frames are different however. I'd be an idiot to ride at an event like that knowing full well there was a massive potential for A+E / facial damage etc..
All of my retrobikes get the same resto treatment. Step one is to strip it back to bare metal and analyse what you've got. I do the same for bars and stems too. This is also why I prefer to buy frames that need a 'bit of work'. It's also the thrill of the chase getting the parts/ sorting the paint/ drawing up and working out the graphic reproductions. Then it's all got to come together 'just right'

With 2 Aluminium 'O's as riders that have proven themselves - especially the orange/White #20 which has done 3 rounds of the points series so far and 3 laps at mayhem - I'll stick with these as my 'riders' to take the punishment.
Even my modern is not immune to damage. I recently had a 'big off' on my five bending the front wheel and bars in the process. My riding mate reckoned I'd be in A+E had I been on the 'O' .... We settled for the hospital arms instead for adnams and crisps ...and a tea towel of ice cubes!!

How do I get a 'retrobike rider status' btw? - I must have qualified now! :LOL: *Monday Evening edit - pics included!*

Cheers all,
boy"O"boy

Contact John for the 'rider' status Ben. Think the leader of your ride(s) needs to confim you were there, that's all. You must be due 'gold trader' status as well? Again, contact john ;)

A few more pics to add. :cool:

Thanks for all the responses so far. I'll get on to John when he's less busy Ed. :D Thanks for the pointer though.
Dead chuffed with how this 'resto' has turned out. The Pace RC100 S is next up for the boy"O"boy treatment...should be a good'n. :LOL:

Cheers
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• Alpinestars-pic9red.jpg
    Alpinestars-pic9red.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 1,787
  • Alpinestars-pic5.jpg
    Alpinestars-pic5.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 1,786
  • Alpinestars-pic6.jpg
    Alpinestars-pic6.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,787
  • Alpinestars-pic8red.jpg
    Alpinestars-pic8red.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 1,786
...and this one!

A bit of messing around with the effects in Photoshop. Been using it as my screen saver!

Also. Get Pedalin' Colchester listed as my local Alpinestars dealer. Shop now long gone.

cheers,
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• getpedallin.jpg
    getpedallin.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 1,749
  • Astarseffect01.jpg
    Astarseffect01.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,749
seems like you have lots of experience doing your own paintjobs (?)
If you would ride this bike hard, how would the paint hold up?

I did work in a body shop a long time ago (not very long tho), so I have some experience in sanding, filling dents and stuff, some welding, some painting. Would love to do my own paintjob once, but I'm affraid it won't hold. Do you use profesional gear for your paintjob?

Rio":t9wwnm7c said:
seems like you have lots of experience doing your own paintjobs (?)
If you would ride this bike hard, how would the paint hold up?

I did work in a body shop a long time ago (not very long tho), so I have some experience in sanding, filling dents and stuff, some welding, some painting. Would love to do my own paintjob once, but I'm affraid it won't hold. Do you use profesional gear for your paintjob?

Hi Rio. :D
This bike won't get riden 'hard' due to the repair it has had on the top tube. My Orange Aluminium 'O's both get abuse though and the paint has stood up really well, I found a clearcoat or Lacquer on top of the graphics is better preserving the vinyl cuts.
I'm fortunate enough to work in a car design studio so the paint is applied by a guy who is used to painting showcars and clays - his work is absolutely spot on. My Aluminium frames are nitromor stripped, sandblasted, then etch primed before any coats are applied. Some of the Pearlescents involve a 3 part process too. I leave the paint to the pros... although I do make the graphics myself and did the spannering on this one myself too. :D

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Back