RIDES FOR 2012?

I'm working most saturdays and sundays at the moment, hence the urgency to get some dates sorted so I can get them in the new diary. By booking the rides before the work I stand a chance of actually riding a bike* next year instead of just falling over them in the garage.

* there is an advantage to this non riding lark, my bikes are all gleaming at the moment and look very nice indeed :LOL:

Rich Aitch":z70pbu6c said:
It looks like there will be some sound rides next year and I can't wait! I'm pleased to see a Settle- Malham ride and the Sherwood Pines ride, they were highlights for me this year.

Early May would probably be best for the Skipton ride as by late May the A65 tends to slow right down with horses been taken up to Appleby for the horse fair at the beginning of June. Cafe's in Skipton, that Giant One was talking about, there's also one by Coach St carpark- I've never been but Mum and Dad like it- as car people would probably end up parking there [The start point is Skipton isn't it?] that might be a good place to meet up.

South Yorkshire ride: forgive me for pointing it out now that the consensus seems to be not to use Cutgate for the Three Tribes but isn't most of the route from Langsett in the "People's Republic"? I missed the Three Tribes one, is there any reason it's been moved?

Howgills sounds great, I've never ridden there and although it's easily forgotton it is in our region. So yeah good!

Rich. Will prob start from Coach St car park so you can make the 50 yard ride from your house as late as you like :LOL:

giant-one" Rich. Will prob start from Coach St car park so you can make the 50 yard ride from your house as late as you like :lol:[/quote said:
In that case the workshop at Rich Aitch Castle will be available for people who turn up with loose cassettes and bits dropping off their bikes. Maybe we could have a raffle too so that somebody can win free carparking on my drive, rather than having to pay in Coach St Carpark!

Looking back over the thread, I'd agree with Si about establishing the dates early, that way I can fit in less important things around the rides. Chris V40 was asking if people preferred Saturday or Sunday rides. For me Saturdays are best because public transport is better and that leaves Sundays free so I can go to church and bother God!

Another possible date for the calendar.....

24th April 2012 will be the 80th anniversary of the Kinder Scout Mass Trespass which was organised by Benny Rothman. It marked a sea change in the use of land by the public, which eventually led to the formation of our National Parks and Scotland's Right to Roam Act.
Although Benny has been considered a Rambler for all these years, he was actually a cyclist and would spend weekends in the Peaks and North Wales on a bike he made from old obsolete junk parts he found in Manchester. Sounds familiar? Wouldn't it be nice to have a day out in his memory? After all, we all owe him and his comrades a huge debt of thanks.

For the last few years we have riden in the Peaks in late April and enjoyed fine trails and weather. We could run a ride to celebrate the Mass Trespass in late April and use Hayfield as a starting point (the Trespass began in a quarry a few miles out).

Vern, I guess that is your part of the world. Any possible routes over Kinder from Hayfield? Maybe a lunch stop at Edale?

Si

and bikes built form old tubes & parts found in the strangelove mancave ?

I'd send the Derbyshire Area xAEC the challenge to set that up, it's in their area.

(I'm not really sure which area groups claim rights to that area as I know Derbyshire is East Midlands, Kinder Scout being their peak iirc, but our definitions can be a bit oddball, so would it be NW ?)

FluffyChicken":3lwpzkri said:
(I'm not really sure which area groups claim rights to that area as I know Derbyshire is East Midlands, Kinder Scout being their peak iirc, but our definitions can be a bit oddball, so would it be NW ?)

We are not restricted to riding in our own area Ben. An AECs job is to put on rides for the members of his given area. It matters not where the rides are as long as they cater for the area members. Sherwood isn't in our area yet it has a place on the calendar and will be organized by Chris for example.

Late April has been the Three Tribes for the last few years which has involved NE&Yorks, NWA and E.Mids why not get all three involved. We have April marked down as 3 Tribes (in a different location) on the provisional calendar, so I guess it could work. Its been a popular event but as DSP said a few pages back it could do with freshening up of the routes.

The Mass Trespass started from two starting points and the Manchester and Sheffield ramblers met up on Kinder. A similar concept to the previous Peaks rides. It all ties in quite nicely.

Ultimately its for our AECs to decide and organize. This thread is just to throw some ideas out there and let them sift through and see if anything is worthy of inclusion. Keep the ideas and suggestions coming, it will be a great help to them in planning our rides for the following year.

Dr S":2c50tms4 said:
Another possible date for the calendar.....

24th April 2012 will be the 80th anniversary of the Kinder Scout Mass Trespass which was organised by Benny Rothman. It marked a sea change in the use of land by the public, which eventually led to the formation of our National Parks and Scotland's Right to Roam Act.
Although Benny has been considered a Rambler for all these years, he was actually a cyclist and would spend weekends in the Peaks and North Wales on a bike he made from old obsolete junk parts he found in Manchester. Sounds familiar? Wouldn't it be nice to have a day out in his memory? After all, we all owe him and his comrades a huge debt of thanks.

For the last few years we have ridden in the Peaks in late April and enjoyed fine trails and weather. We could run a ride to celebrate the Mass Trespass in late April and use Hayfield as a starting point (the Trespass began in a quarry a few miles out).

Vern, I guess that is your part of the world. Any possible routes over Kinder from Hayfield? Maybe a lunch stop at Edale?

Si

Sounds like a good idea I would think the N/W and midlands chaps would agree, I'll fined out if there ok with the date and get back to you.

Latest posts

Back