My Kili racer thread

theredchili":16vsxcep said:
Looking good Rupe,a very nice clean build :D

Thanks! I take no credit for the build though on this one, the trekker is all (nearly all) my own work though, and except for creaky noises it works ok.

Good to see you on sunday James after 5-6 years! Like you say small world, tree work and retro bikes intersecting. I know of a few other lurkers on here from the tree industry aswell though!

SaracenSteve":24drmyap said:
Im still here lurking :)
Glad you are enjoying the kili.
Loving your Trekker build. Really nice job!!

Hi Steve, good to hear from you. Yes its a great bike, not done much too it, got the brakes set up a bit better so they can stay on it, I was worried they wouldn't be any good but I'm learning that well set up old stuff is better than badly set up new stuff if that makes sense!

Not really got it mudddy yet, and not sure I want to either!! I got the trekker muddy last weekend and its all polished and put away now. Maybe I need a third bike for winter (fourth in fact, not counting the modern one which I'll happily get muddy!)

The Trekker build was good fun, learned a lot. Thanks for the compliments, I used yours as a standard to work to I think, although I didn't have as much new stuff to put on it.

Opinions wanted.

I'm after some advice!!! Not been using this bike too much cos the brakes are still pretty bad!! Going from hydraulic discs to this is a bit of a shock, ok in dry conditions but I am not enjoying it as much as I wanted to. My cannondale has new v brakes and is getting used more.

I am aware the the cantis on this bike are older then the bike itself, so they are not quite correct. I dont believe everything should necessarrilly be period correct, i.e. I am not trying to recreate some mystical chrismas day when a new bike arrived, or any of that nonsense! I would be quite happy with a bike that had had newer parts put on as the years went by, but older stuff on the bike is bit backwards. Also I have the 2 trekkers that I am building as period correct as possible, but they are not for regular use, this kili needs to be ridden more!

Anyway my point is, I have some low profile M650 cantis that are period correct that could go on it, but I also have some nearly new black V brakes and black levers (M510) that would actually look pretty good on it.

So I assume the V brakes will be better, but is it sacrilidge to put them on? The M650 would look perfect on it.

Decisions decisions...........input appreciated!

Stick the v's on if you ride it a lot off road, don't worry about period correctness!

Tc

V's would look good. Like you say, would have them fitted by now if you had it from new.

I'd also think about some maguras - they look great, work brilliantly and the early saracens used to come with them. Some HS22s or HS33s would look good.

Saying that if you have the v's may as well whack them on. No harm.

"would have them fitted by now if you had it from new"

Thats what I meant! Its progress in it! Like I already have lock on grips on most of my bikes as all that messing about with rubber push on grips is no good!!

The bike has the routing capability for maguras, but not sure I want to go down that path, the V's will look awesome so I am 90% decided!!

Back