13th April 08 : HONC entry now available

I live less than 10 miles from the start/finish point and have ridden it more times than I care to remember. No I've personally never ridden it on a SS, but like I said, plenty do.

My mate's well peeved that we're not using the one gear, me too.

Looking at past results it looks like it favours the geared bikes, some very fast times have been posted so it can't be mega-hard... :roll:

I don't know the route at all, is it lots of lovely hills? I really hate spinning flat out for looong flat sections as happened in the Viking Challenge the other month when I took the single speed. Apart from a few hills and bumpy trails that suited the ss it was (to me at any rate) a geared bike event.

It can be damned annoying to overtake loads of people on the twisty / hilly stuff just to lose ground again on the flat stuff because you're revving out, but - you learn to accept that that is one of the facets of single speeding.

So, on one hand I'd like to do as well as I could, which means going geared, on the other I'd like to go ss but it would mean sacrificing quite a few places and expending a lot more energy to keep the tempo up if there's lots of flat stuff.

It really is lots of lovely hills, obviously there are flat sections, you can't ride 60 miles without at least a couple.

Here is the course for 2006...

id0229profile.jpg

Don't know what its like where you live, but that looks hilly to me :)

Russell,

what's the terrain like overall? Is it a race like a muddy field or more hardpack tracks and stuff?

Flat sections are fine - just mile after mile of 'em that gets a bit tedious.

Thanks for the 2006 profile.

I'm already entered, now to get riding!!

The course is bridleway and minor roads, (well it was last year) it's a nice introduction to summer. I did it on a full sus machine last year thinking of fully rigid RC100 with hard pack 1.5's on this year though!!!

I did it last year after not having ridden properly for over a decade (feel old now!) and it was fine (only the 50Km though!!)

It's all pointing to a cross bike for me.

At what point do you specify which distance you intend to do I have registered, but don't recall mentioning it.

Steve - what'cha riding for it?

Wu-Tangled":jl4ze9s0 said:
It's all pointing to a cross bike for me.

At what point do you specify which distance you intend to do I have registered, but don't recall mentioning it.

Steve - what'cha riding for it?

Yeah, I didn't see where you specify what distance you're doing either Gus. Nothing in the confirmation email either. I guess I'll confirm it on the day. 100k for me.

What bike? Hmm tempted to go back to square 1 and use the KK single speed running my usual 36:16, if not it'll be the geared Moots Rigor Mootis.

Steve

Back