My mens Falcon Black Diamond

titch__16

Retro Guru
This is my Falcon Black Diamond. It was my Grandfathers bike before it was given to me around a year ago, and has since come to be known as Debbie, by me and many others.
debbie%252520start%252520%2525282%252529.JPG

debbie%252520start.JPG

This is when I first got it. As you can see it had plain black wall tires and rather uncomfortable handlebars, and was quite messy. It had all the original gear components and wheels, but the driveside crank arm was bent and the freewheel was seized. After around 4 months looking for replacement parts and about £200, I managed to restore to what I considered to be worthy of the original quality.
debbie%252520%2525282%252529.jpg

This was a few weeks after getting her, I had fitted drop bars with yellow Cat-Eye tape, onto an ITM stem.
Photo0098.jpg

Then a short time after that I had a new freewheel and Weinmann Drop levers. Also Amber wall tires which I felt really complimented the look of the machine.
debbie%252520%2525288%252529.jpg

Then in June this year, I had replaced the crank and she was basically finished. All that was left was replacing the stickers with the originals. It had been a long process but I felt it was worth it.
debbie%252520%2525284%252529.jpg

But then I got hit by a car, ruined the front wheel and the chain got caught up in between the freewheel and the spokes and I needed to replace the the derailleur and get the rim relaced.

At the moment all I need is a Front wheel and she's finished. I should hopefully be able to get one within the week so may be up and running in no time :D

Current specs are:

Rims: Rigida
Hubs: Maillard

Freewheel: Sachs
Crankset: Sugino
Shifters: Shimano Altus LT
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Altus LT
Front Mech: Shimano Altus LT

Levers: Weinmann Drilled
Callipers: Weinmann 750 Vainqueur 999 Centre Pull

Sorry to hear of your woes.

Its a nice looking old machine so is worth getting back to riding condition.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks and yes I it's definitely worth it.
Should hopefully be ridable within the next 2 weeks, and I honestly cannot wait :D

I now have a set of wheels for her, Thanks to Zimbob :D
At the moment though I don't have an original rear, I am however going to build up the full set as I now have enough rims to do so.

Debbie%252520now.jpg

Hopefully I'll be able to show her off within a week.

I'm having a problem at the moment with the bar tape, it's cotton and is covered in dirt but I don't have any ideas of how to clean it :cry:

Any ideas?

Update: Brakes all up and running. Rear mech working, just need to make the front mech nice shiny and that's good to go too :D
debbie.jpg

I'm considering getting coloured outer cables, maybe in either yellow, to match the tape and tyres or blue to match the frame. :roll:

Any comments? :)

Gears now complete
Debbie%252520gears.jpg

With a sneak preview of my ladies version in the background ;)

I went for white cable outers, I think they look pretty good and go with the other colours. I think it would be hard to find blue ones to match, but yellow might look ok too.

I've had white before, but I don't really like it, I have found a light blue set which I'll try along with yellow. If I don't like either of them I may just change the bar tape colour.

Finally managed to get round to rebuilding both, front and back wheels. Now full original hubs and rims :D
Got the original top tube stickers on too.
Photo0028.jpg

Photo0029.jpg

Photo0030.jpg

Fitted toe clips too, just to help out with acceleration and I'm now thinking I may get a new set just for her :LOL:

All that's left to do now is;
Saddle
Decals
Cables

Finally looking like she's nearing completion :D I've waited a long time for this to happen and I'm very excited.

Back