RIDES FOR 2012?

Other than the jumble, our nearest is ~110miles round trip (Dalby)

Si's as far from the north of the moors as we are from the south of them.

Anyways, I thought it was just ideas at the moment. May be the McRetro/NW would meet up in Northumberland, hence my Keilder mention. OR 'ride the wall/border' (if there's any routes along it)

400mile round trip from here, but that's only a touch further than a some of the national series ;)

Always going to be the problem when an area is over 200miles top to bottom. Hence Anglia/Lincs self imposed split.
How the midlands split when there span distance is about our nearest rides I don't know.

Dalby works out at around 165 mile round trip from here. Horcum and Kildale are a shade nearer.

DSP suggested earlier in the thread about moving the 3Tribes and having MacRetro on board. Problem is, MacRetro in general have been a little reluctant to leave Scotia over the last year or so. Apart from Velo at BDW and Dyna-Ti at Kaya's Kake run we have seen neither hide nor hair of our Scottish chums. Therefore I'm reluctant to suggest putting 3Tribes on up here just to drag folk even further away from home and exclude the Mids guys who have always supported the event.

Therefore, if 3 Tribes is to run again it needs to be towards the South of our area which still leaves the North East without a local event.

Not easy is it?

Always going to be the problem when an area is over 200miles top to bottom. Hence Anglia/Lincs self imposed split.
How the midlands split when there span distance is about our nearest rides I don't know.

Thats the rub. 185 miles north to south and 90 miles east to west. A split would make it more manageable but that should be avoided as we just dont have the density of active riders.

I guess that is why many of our rides have taken place on the Yorkshire Moors as it is pretty central to those active riders. As long as we try and find some different routes on the moors then we can keep it fresh, but there is a risk of stagnation and a loss of interest if we don't.

Si

Dr S":3d72ymhl said:
Dalby works out at around 165 mile round trip from here. Horcum and Kildale are a shade nearer.

160 for us to Kildale, and the same to Skipton and the same to Hope

Shame there's not more riders up the far North.
What's the NW/Cumbria riders numbers like ? As they're the closest to join in far north rides.

Just looked at the full region, hadn't really noticed you're in the middle of it and you're somewhere Way Up North

I see no problem myself in squeezing a far north, far south ride in the same month. Should get Marc2Tone to figure it out.

Attachments

• NEYregion.JPG
    NEYregion.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 448
rides for 2012

FluffyChicken":isri4bsm said:
Dr S":isri4bsm said:

160 for us to Kildale, and the same to Skipton and the same to Hope

Shame there's not more riders up the far North.
What's the NW/Cumbria riders numbers like ? As they're the closest to join in far north rides.

Just looked at the full region, hadn't really noticed you're in the middle of it and you're somewhere Way Up North

I see no problem myself in squeezing a far north, far south ride in the same month. Should get Marc2Tone to figure it out.

well so far what i've figured out is that we need to put on rides that's accessible to all riders within that given region. studying the who is closer to what needs a practicable approach. i mean, much beyond northumberland (upwards) is remote and we need to anticipate whether or not people actually live in that vacinity in enough numbers(we have to consider non members looking to join) to plan a ride in.

without splitting hairs...northallerton seems about north/south central of our region so naturally a healthy quantity of rides needs to be here which, is west of the moors and east of dales. so far we have that with horcum, kildale,dalby in the east and settle, howgills, skipton in a more westerly direction. both the dales and moors cover huge acreage and distance has to be taken with a loose term for distance to be travelled.

so far though i see a lot in the melting pot and a bright calendar to go at but, lets relax a little as the nationals have to be looked at yet and im sure there will be more chin wagging at meets to form even more cross-region meets and other ideas for trails to tackle.

it's looking very good but lets think about how far ahead we can realistically plan, you know what i mean, other commitments,weather,even the nationals were done over nine months(as opposed to 12) with scope for more.im sure we can put a finer point on things in due course.

im not terribly knowledgeable on ideal mtb locations but i will be learning from the 'knowing' over the next couple of months in a an attempt to discover our green and pleasant land.

cheers.

cheers.

I think the provisional calendar is looking good but we need to give some serious thought about having a Northumberland ride and fitting in the South Yorkshire ride somewhere other than January or November by the sounds of it.

I'm not keen to put on a winter ride in Northumberland.

In the Northumbrian local dialect there are 26 different words for mud. The highest count in the world. That gives you a pretty good indication of winter conditions up here. Its the most abrasive mud imaginable too. I've gone through two sets of disc pads in one 5 hour nightride and have seen top tubes stripped down to primer in an afternoon. :shock:

If you are heading this way make sure its in the summer.

Si

It looks like there will be some sound rides next year and I can't wait! I'm pleased to see a Settle- Malham ride and the Sherwood Pines ride, they were highlights for me this year.

Early May would probably be best for the Skipton ride as by late May the A65 tends to slow right down with horses been taken up to Appleby for the horse fair at the beginning of June. Cafe's in Skipton, that Giant One was talking about, there's also one by Coach St carpark- I've never been but Mum and Dad like it- as car people would probably end up parking there [The start point is Skipton isn't it?] that might be a good place to meet up.

South Yorkshire ride: forgive me for pointing it out now that the consensus seems to be not to use Cutgate for the Three Tribes but isn't most of the route from Langsett in the "People's Republic"? I missed the Three Tribes one, is there any reason it's been moved?

Howgills sounds great, I've never ridden there and although it's easily forgotton it is in our region. So yeah good!

There has been some good suggestions for areas to ride in so far, so keep them coming.
As to the calendar lets not get ahead of are-selves, there will be some changes to how it will work next year.
I have a cunning plan so stay tuned.............. ;)

Just one thing to add which has been discussed before.

Does everyone prefer Saturdays for the monthly rides? I work every Saturday during summer and they can be a real pita to get off.

I admit it is nice to ride on a Saturday and have the Sunday to chill but surely I can't be the only one working Saturdays?

Just something I wanted to bring up, I obviously don't expect the majority to alter days just to suit me :LOL:

Back