Why no pictures?

Nick C

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Why do people selling items not put up photo's, or why ask for photo's on request? If I'm buying something I always want to see photo's, especially if I'm unsure what's being sold, or what a certain model looks like. If I'm selling a product, I want to make it as easy as possible for a potential buyer to see what they're buying, not make additional work for them.

And why make a for sale post and then say you'll add pictures at a later date, why not create the for sale thread when you have the images?

I usually figure that if a seller can't be bothered to spend the time taking pics and creating a post with them, I can't be bothered to contact them to beg for images.

I do appreciate that not everybody has a digital camera, and I can be a grumpy fart at times! ;)

I agree. You wouldn't sell on the bay if no pictures. So why would any body think the opposite here :roll:

I'm sorry :oops: I get eager to sell things and think if the description is ok and people are more eager than my taking picture speed, i will do it faster.

I always intend to put pictures up, just that i am a bit slack (/get distracted/busy easily).

It all depends. If a well known member with good feedback is offering a mint M900 crankset for example then why worry about a few photos? We know the seller is sound, and we all know what a m900 crankset looks like, so why bother with pics?

I don't have broadband at work and do most of my RB browsing on a mobile, so a million photos of something isn't always helpful.

Si

I frequently list on Ebay long before I get round to adding pics. Sometimes don't bother depending on the item. If it is new I often just link to some generic shots.

In the past I often did not have the item in hand so a description was all I could give. I don't use BIN if I don't have quality pics when it is an expensive vintage item for example. The pics will always be up a few days before the listing ends.

Really don't see why people do the 'email for pics' thing. If you have some, add them or a link to them at least!

If it is a used item, you really need pics to indicate what your interpretation of 'but as new' or 'minty' might be.

Done well, a set of product shots can add massively to your sale price for some items.

NOT AIMED AT ANYONE IN PARTICULAR !!! :D

I am a skeptical person but I do wonder if it's done as a bit of a ploy to 'force' a sale of that rare / hard to find / last part of a build that someone has been waiting for ...

"XT thumbies, mint, pics at weekend £1000"

Ah, just what I wanted ...
Hmmm, no pics ...
But the XT thumbies, everyone wants them ...
It's Tuesday, long time till weekend ...
Someone else will buy them soon ...
Arrrgghhh, sod it ...

"Me please, pm on way, send me your paypal"

Job done ;-)

I have also often wondered if people hold onto stuff until an 'opportune' moment and then throw an add up with an inflated price ... :?

For the purpose of this thread, the definition of opportune = seen a few wanted add's, some have just sold on eBay for mega £, some rich kid with a fancy build is near the end with something missing ... :LOL:

Told you I was skeptical ... :oops: :LOL:

WD :D

Dr S":2vt2h20r said:
It all depends. If a well known member with good feedback is offering a mint M900 crankset for example then why worry about a few photos? We know the seller is sound, and we all know what a m900 crankset looks like, so why bother with pics?

Because not everybody does know what an m900 crankset looks like, that's the problem. There are plenty of people who don't have your experience and have to start searching the internet to find this information. Now I've nothing against this at all, research is good, but it's at the expense of the buyers time and can potentially lose the seller a sale.

Or.............What about the "Wanted" adverts.

This is where someone is (quite rightly) specific about what they want, you reply or PM with exactly what the asked for, and they never reply.

Not even a no thanks it's too much/too new/too nice/too anything else.

Or even better the "Wanted, Mint/NOS M950 groupset", and they only want to pay £15 inc postage. :evil:

the great roberto":p2nof2c3 said:
Or.............What about the "Wanted" adverts.

This is where someone is (quite rightly) specific about what they want, you reply or PM with exactly what the asked for, and they never reply.

Not even a no thanks it's too much/too new/too nice/too anything else.

Or even better the "Wanted, Mint/NOS M950 groupset", and they only want to pay £15 inc postage. :evil:

this is why i dont bother with wanted adds any more. no one ever responds either way.

Back