free hub fitment and compatibility

keitht

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Does this look like a standard type fitment ?

bikestuff2011_0915_205408.jpg

bikestuff2011_0915_205418.jpg

bikestuff2011_0915_205432.jpg

My LBS, who I took this too to replace for a 9spd...said it couldn't be done.

I picked the wheel up today, and I am pretty certain he hasn't even looked...due to grease/marks other indicators, and his vague attitude.

Anyway its a 10spd freehub off a noname hub ( poss formula ) Alex 390pro wheelset, and I would like know if I can fit a 9spd one.
A search of some net images seems to suggest it can...but with the big companys attempts to cause issues with compatibility, even with their own products in some cases....

Your advice will be welcomed.

No one?

I have forked out on some 10spd stuff..despite having all the 9spd parts I needed....and would still like to go down this route.

Not least as it will save me from forking out more cash on a 10spd rear mech.

K

cyfa2809":2eo0uyub said:
How does it bolt on?

Threaded axle....allen key non drive side....R/h & opposing L/h retaining collars and seals.

Decided to go 10spd and bought a sram og 1070 cassette from Si...so all was good...but that doesn't fit either....

Meaning the freehub is some silly size/model.

EDIT: seems to be a 7800 DA freehub.

Please can someone help..I am starting to lose the will here......

:?

OK...getting somewhere.

Only cassettes that will fit are 7800 6600 5600 ones.

Really I would like to go 9spd..as I know I will not have any compatibilty with parts...this despite just spending out on 10spd stuff in desperation.

Must learn to be patient.

So, back to the original question...can I fit a 9spd free hub to replace this f**king 10spd one..... :(

Ta

If I remember rightly, Shimano went to this stupid system to make DA lighter (but weaker, so much for progress). Sadly this was after the switch away from 9 speed, so I think you are stuck with it.

The only thing you could try is using the 10 speed cogs and 9 speed spacers. IIRC the cog thickness is exactly the same.

Quite honestly - it would be easier just to buy a new wheel.

Don't bank on either of the two you pictured fitting. There are far too many other variables like axle design/thickness, end-cap variations, you name it.

Put it down to experience and waste no more time on it.

That freehub body pictured looks like a ake on the original Campag design many people then used like Hope for example. Lot's have moved to slightly different designs. (talking fitments and ratchets, not the splines interface).

Honestly I cannot tell you as I have no idea what you are trying to replace it with.

So this a road bike then ?

plenty of similar looking designs on here
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Cate ... =SalesRank

I'd just get a new hub as they're about the same price.

as far as I know cassettes 8/9/10 are all interchangeable and the adaptations are in the cassette itself.

I think there was a DA in 2005/6 that was funny and it needed it's cassette.
That didn't apply to the rest of the range though.
(vague memory from something I read on SheldonBrown, but they've been adding and changing thing recently)

Edit see the wheelset name up there, not much on a search but this
http://www.bicyclepartswholesale.com.au ... p5275.html
Novatec hub maybe so http://www.novatecwheels.com/novatec/english/index.php
and freehubs
http://issuu.com/novatectaiwan/docs/cas ... lity_-_all

never know...

dbmtb":3j6548uk said:
Quite honestly - it would be easier just to buy a new wheel.

Don't bank on either of the two you pictured fitting. There are far too many other variables like axle design/thickness, end-cap variations, you name it.

Put it down to experience and waste no more time on it.

I am certainly wishing I had taken this course of action.....it would have saved me money and avoided the annoyance and accompanying swearing.

I shall put the experience down to naivity, and endeavour not to repeat it in the future.

:?

Back