RIDES FOR 2012?

Let me pm Matt tonight and see what his views are on holding the Pines ride in Jan/Feb, sounds good to me but it has been a joint venture for the last couple of years.

rides for 2012

chris.

welton and the wolds was a ride we all came back speaking highly of. just as a south east yorks suggestion. maybe fit this in somewhere as its just over the bridge.. there could be an additional NE/yorks-lincs meet to complement the pines.

parking may have to be tweaked for larger numbers but the pub(choice of 2), scenery, quiet trails and rest points were all bob-on. and, some of the lincoln folk can connect on this one.

a few hill-climb challenges too! a blueberry muffin for the winner.

Re: rides for 2012

marc two tone":1nct2gxf said:
chris.

welton and the wolds was a ride we all came back speaking highly of. just as a south east yorks suggestion. maybe fit this in somewhere as its just over the bridge.. there could be an additional NE/yorks-lincs meet to complement the pines.

parking may have to be tweaked for larger numbers but the pub(choice of 2), scenery, quiet trails and rest points were all bob-on. and, some of the lincoln folk can connect on this one.

a few hill-climb challenges too! a blueberry muffin for the winner.

Well we could put the wolds route in for October then and tie it in with the bike jumble, we should still be riding for 12pm at the latest. I want to tweak the route a bit for next time as we were all too knackered to take in some cracking single track in the woods leading down to the humber.

Definitely has king of the mountains potential :LOL:

Just wish they would stop putting up new damn gates on the main run.

I vote not to move Pines from it regular time, it was a good time in the year to meet for all of us and it's a Midlands/Lics/Yorks established meet now.

Just pm'd Matt to see what his views are on a change of month.

Would probably see a much smaller turnout during winter though which would be a shame.

Just moved the Howgills ride to make room for the Wolds & cycle jumble.

Shall we have the South Yorks ride in November? Anyone know how the trails cope in the winter weather?

JANUARY -
FEBRUARY -The Hell Of Horcum
MARCH - Kaya's Kildale Cake Run
APR - Three Tribes (with change of location)
MAY - Skipton Area
JUNE - Sherwood Pines
JULY - Settle To Malham
AUGUST - NE&YORKS NATIONAL ROUND
SEPTEMBER - Howgills/North Pennines
OCTOBER - Welton & The Yorkshire Wolds
NOVEMBER -
DECEMBER - Xmas Pudding Run Dalby

Hi Guys,

The Pines is pretty miserable in the winter. When it's wet it throws up a fine silt/grit that grinds bike parts (and body parts) in a remarkably unpleasant way.

It also holds water and drains badly so it's pretty much 50% silty puddles on most of the trails, even if you go off piste.

I ride there most weekends over the winter and it's always a joy when it dries out in May and becomes the sweeping single track haven we have enjoyed for the last three years.

Certainly for a group ride on a wet Sunday in Feb it would be a shadow of it's spring/summer self and I wouldn't feel I could really encourage people to travel to it, especially if they had been before and were expecting fast singletrack. You can get the same wet muddy experience on any local bridal way to be honest ;)

I would be much happier keeping it a spring/early summer event as it's a bit of a tradition now and that would certainly offer the best riding experience.

South Yorks is heavy clay soil. Very claggy in winter months. Greno woods has lots of slippy roots too.

JANUARY -
FEBRUARY -The Hell Of Horcum
MARCH - Kaya's Kildale Cake Run
APR - Three Tribes (with change of location)
MAY - Skipton Area
JUNE - Sherwood Pines
JULY - Settle To Malham
AUGUST - NE&YORKS NATIONAL ROUND
SEPTEMBER - Howgills/North Pennines
OCTOBER - Welton & The Yorkshire Wolds
NOVEMBER -
DECEMBER - Xmas Pudding Run Dalby

Looking good except there is nothing up here in the North East yet. Nearest ride is 130 mile round trip away from us lot. Sherwood is a 330 mile round trip.

I always forget just how far north you all are Si, what have you got in mind for a ride up your way?

Back