Tora 318 problems.

cyfa2809

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Got a NOS set of tora 318's that dont seem to compress fully. They kind of 'lockout', and you can just hear what sound slike metal on metal or something like that.

What could be wrong? (they move about 10mm)

Is the problem occurring when the fork is locked out or not?

Rockshox forks do not lock out fully, you still get about 10-15mm of travel so that the damping cartridge isn't damaged

Occurs on either.
They have u turn and when i undo that so forks are fully extended, they travel a bit more (like the difference in travel amount).

Seems like they just hit something inside. I have tried this with the moco cart out and its the same so im thinking its possibly the left leg?

cyfa2809":3mjy4avc said:
Occurs on either.
They have u turn and when i undo that so forks are fully extended, they travel a bit more (like the difference in travel amount).

Seems like they just hit something inside. I have tried this with the moco cart out and its the same so im thinking its possibly the left leg?
so no real difference in travel between locked and unlocked.

I suspect that the bottom compression damper seal has failed

It happened on a batch of Reba forks and the symptoms sound similar

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showth ... p?t=221066

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspensio ... 40921.html

If they're NOS send em back to Fisher Outdoor via the seller (provided it's a retail outlet) for a repair, you could DIY, but I can't find the relevant service info at the mo (I'm on my phone)

These are a warranty replacment so no chance of sending them to be serviced.

Oil may have leaked into lower leg, that sounds right (would make sense).
So it just needs new o rings and filling up again of course??

Easy job to do? O rings are simple i guess.

I ahd a set of tora 302's before in which the lockout didnt work. Topped up the oil and they worked perfect, but there was no loss of travel on them.

cyfa2809":2rewsoih said:
These are a warranty replacment so no chance of sending them to be serviced.

Oil may have leaked into lower leg, that sounds right (would make sense).
So it just needs new o rings and filling up again of course??

Easy job to do? O rings are simple i guess.

I ahd a set of tora 302's before in which the lockout didnt work. Topped up the oil and they worked perfect, but there was no loss of travel on them.
Even warranty replacements have a warranty ;)

But yeah it should be easy enough (I've not done it myself)

Just find a service guide on t'web, or ring someone like TFTuned (Tim Flooks) who may well talk you through the process and supply the parts needed

www.tftuned.co.uk

Far too much oil in the lower left leg!
So, what will i be looking to replace?
If you would be so kind :)

I think you need the Tora Turnkey*/MoCo*/SoloAir* Service Kit, TFTuned will confirm this

TFTuned will sell you them and will help you by telling you how to do it, or they used to tell you how to DIY

*whichever damping your fork has

It has moco but surely its to do with the damper assembly?

I took them apart and found a tiny bit of a plastic/rubber thing :?
I was also looking on other forums and found that someone with similar problems got the reba damper assembly replaced under warranty (into their tora).
I have seen the assemblies for around £30. But would this solve my problem? (have emailed what i believe to be the right email for SRAM).

Back