Kona Cinder Cone reincarnation

s1monf

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I've finally cleansed myself of the majority of my new fangled guff and decided to build up what I couldn't afford in the 90s.

I didn't have the time or the money to return it to it's original state and, given that this is my weekend ride, I've gone for an eclectic blend of original, slightly newer and parts bin.

Frame had poor paint when I picked it up so I've resprayed it and bought decals.

Total build cost is well under £300.00 and it rides exactly as I had hoped.

Feedback welcome, spec as follows:

Frame: 1996 Kona Cinder Cone

Fork: Manitou R7 Super 100mm

Headset: SARS
Stem: FSA (Blasted and polished)
Handlebar: Unknown
Grips: Token lock on

Brakes: Avid BB7 on 180mm Deore disc & Deore Vs
Brake Levers: Deore

Shifters: XT 9 speed
Front Derailleur: XT M739
Rear Derailleur: XT M739
Cassette: HG50 9 speed
Chain: HG73
Cranks: Sugino Impel 500 (cheers Derek)
Bottom Bracket: UN-52
Pedals: Shimano M545

Hub Skewers: A2Z
Rims: Alex Ace 17
Hubs: Deore LX
Tyres: Schwalbe Rocket Ron

Saddle: SDG Bel Air
Seatpost: Braev Machine (Blasted and polished)
Seatpost Binder: Kona

Weight: 25lb near as dammit

Attachments

• IMG_0406.JPG
    IMG_0406.JPG
    296.5 KB · Views: 2,498
  • IMG_0407.JPG
    IMG_0407.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 2,498
  • IMG_0408.JPG
    IMG_0408.JPG
    282.6 KB · Views: 2,498
Cheers for the kind words guys.
Sinnerman, just read your Dave Yates and Prestige thread end to end and May have to use that as inspiration for my next build.
I always fancied a Chas Roberts, are they still available at reasonable money?

That looks the mutts - and the colourscheme is fantastic. One question though - it looks a little over-forked for the frame, so how are you getting on with the extra travel?

Thanks.
It doesn't appear to have adversely affected the handling and I run the fork pretty soft so with the sag it feels bang on - Still a nice and quick front end. Fork is around 1600g as well so that helps.

Cheers.
It was a home rattle can job but has come up nice.
Now I've ridden it in anger and got on with it so well, I may get it powder coated when it gets a little scruffy. Despite the polish I doubt that it will be a durable finish.

Well done mate, very lovely indeed. I love to see older frames built up with more modern parts. It's proof that the classic steel hardtails can continue to provide a great ride. The spirit of a bike is the frame but modern components do really work better than the old stuff. That said a period build is also a thing of beauty. I had a Kona Explosif back in '89 which I sadly destroyed in a big crash in the Peak District a year later. Love your colour scheme. An early '90s Explosif or Cinder Cone is on my list of things to do, when the right one turns up. Enjoy.
p.s. Regarding the fork. If it feels good it is good. I've run sus forks on my '91 Salsa Ala Carte which originally had shorter rigids on it. It rode fine and gave 1000's of miles of fun. It's a rigid SS now though. Right back to basics !!

Thanks for the kind words, I've ridden a number of newer and new frames recently and my preference is definitely older steel, they just seem to have more charachter.
The Explosif would be a fine acquisition.

Back