GT Bravado 1998

drcarlos

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Like they say good things come to those who wait and this frame did. I spotted it on ebay about 6 months ago and locked in a snipe and was soundly beaten, ah well such is life I though and forgot about it. A couple of weeks later it appeared on ebay at some £40 more than it was won for and I resisted temptation, then recently it appeared for sale at near enough the price I lost on so armed with a tax rebate a deal was struck.
My plans were to upgrade my wifes bike (a Trek 800 we'd had since new and upgraded along the way) she's a tough customer, not really a biker and very into asthetics and she wasn't keen to start with but after a ride on my Sorcerer she declared that a nice riding bike and agreed to let me do this changeover (I took a chance on the proviso it would be re-painted if it was not to her liking we went ahead).
This is our first GT and the frame turned up well packed and in great condition from Woody and it's really nice, well made, nice welds, quality Reynold 631 tubing, quality dropouts and cable guides and it seems almost a shame that I can't adorn it with better kit but this is what is fitted.

Frame: GT Bravado Reynolds 631 full tubset finished in metallic blue

Fork: Marzocchi Bomber Z3 Light 1998

Headset: Cane Creek S2 Alloy sealed cartridge bearing.
Stem: WTB CXC
Handlebar: WTB CXC Riser
Grips: Kona Race

Brakes: STX-RC V Brakes
Brake Pads: STX-RC
Brake Cables: Clarks
Brake Levers: STX-RC 2 Finger

Shifters: STX-RC 7s
Front Derailleur: Deore
Rear Derailleur: STX-RC
Derailleur Cables: Clarks
Cassette: STX-RC 7s
Cranks: STX-RC Chromica Bronze
Bottom Bracket: UN54
Pedals: Cheapo VP Plastic (thinking Wellgo M111)

Rims: Bontrager BX3
Hubs: STX-SE Chromica Bronze
Spokes: Stainless
Tyres: Panaracer Fire XC Pro 1.8

Saddle: WTB Speed She
Seatpost: GT
Seatpost Binder: Halfords

Weight: 27lbs

DSCF0026.jpg

DSCF0018.jpg

DSCF0023.jpg

DSCF0020.jpg

DSCF0019.jpg

DSCF0025.jpg

And the verdict from my wife?

'Well that's pretty good, it feels like one of yours'

Praise indeed from the non-biker, first ride will be a few miles on my river path ride on Friday weather permitting.

On to the Kona Hahanna build for my lad now.

Carl.

Thanks, didn't think my components were doing it justice and you are correct the forks are not original, we'd gone through a few different forks on the old Trek to get to these Z3's and they are staying.
May have got lost in the original description that I had everything that has been put on this frame (barring the 73mm BB) already hung on and being used on my wife old Trek 800 and it took me a few hours to move everything across and set it up.
Depending on how much it get's used it may get upgraded to the XT/LX mix (or even full XT) of the catalogue bike eventually.

Carl.

Not a massive fan of GTs, but that looks lovely.

Also, I agree that the forks go better than the originals. Probably work better too! :D

The Mrs is really liking this, described the first ride as great and has been out 3 more times since, looks like it could be getting fair bit of use.

Carl.

These Bravado's are superb frames and are often overlooked. Get the inside of that frame treated with a rust inhibitor and it'll be passed down through the years. Love the colour :cool:

Back