2012 - The 29'er takeover?!

650'b only to out niche anyone on a 29er but IMO its dead in the water. Tyre and rim options are very limited I've no idea why someone would choose it. Either stick with 26 or move up to 29. I think the only manufacturere offering one is Haro with the Beasley.

EDIT:Looks like the Beasley has been dropped.

Regardless of the merits of 29ers I can't help but think that it is nearly entirely lead by manufgacturers over here.

I haven't seen one in the flesh and my (old school) local bike shop said they havent even had an enquiry for one yet.

Not saying they are good or bad, but Specialized stating their sales over in the US doesnt make any odds over here to me and my mates.

Halfords/Voodoo have a 3 of their hardtails in 29er this year. Quite nice too the voodoo's and the 29'ers.

bumped into a chap in whiteways carpark on saturday test riding a whyte 29er..829 iirc

we saw him on his way back to teh carpark and he was very disappointed with it. Said he didn't feel like the handle bars were connected to the front wheel :shock:

BobCatMax":2wu5zdmo said:
bumped into a chap in whiteways carpark on saturday test riding a whyte 29er..829 iirc

we saw him on his way back to teh carpark and he was very disappointed with it. Said he didn't feel like the handle bars were connected to the front wheel :shock:

I think it would depend on the rider, maybe some would like that.
Thing is, were so used to 26'' anything else over a short period is going to feel alien.

aye, after reading what Kaiser said, i think I would agree. Mind you, he said he test a lot of bikes, so who knows if he'd already tested a few of the big wheeled behemoths :?

and my word those wheels are big, I'm 5'8" and I felt like a hobbit :LOL:

you can roll over stuff with the 29" front wheel and accelerate better with the 26" rear wheel.

It's an interesting theory, but given that the two wheels are attached to the same bike I'm unconvinced by the idea that one end can accelerate better than the other :)

69er? Strangely enough, I'd think that the 26 up front and 29 at the back would produce the perfect bike. You get the extra grip of a 29er at the back, whilst retaining the light steering of a 26er.

Yes, they are here to stay and the European manufacturers are belatedly getting in on the act. But I have yet to see one in the Westcountry (I know we're behind the curve but I thought I would have seen at least 1 in the flesh!) and I can't help thinking it is the magazines and bike companies telling us what we want rather than the other way around.

I'm sure they have their merit, but for the riding my friends and I do a lighter 26 is always going to be better. If my local rides were difference they may be more benficial.

Back