My GT Tempest build thread all done with pics!

SIMONFREESE

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello all. After a very warm welcome here I wanted to start a thread detailing my build, in the hope it may be of some use / interest.

I have got a GT Tempest frame:

gttempest.jpg

After removing the forks, I have been with a frame that needs stripping. After drooling over MIkee's photos of his frankly intimidating collection,I have decided that there is only one way to go - polish the frame.

So I made a start with Nitro Mors and coarse wire wool:

gt14.jpg

gt1.jpg

I love the detail on this frame:

gt13.jpg

Only thing is the paint is being stubborn. I am hoping to make (very) gradual progress and will use this thread to detail how it's going.

Here are the parts I have so far:

Rock Shox Tora RS fork

Shimano Deore LX V brakes

Ritchey handlebars and stem

Shimano Tourney rear mech

shimano XT front mech

Got lots of bits to buy still!

Any ideas / suggestions very welcome! I find myself spending ages thinking over small details, like what grips to put on, what colour pedals to get, and your thoughts would be appreciated. I am on a budget though!

i had a backwoods from this period, they're definitely striking frames. mine was too big for me though, and i prefer konas, so it went

please dont fit a tourney mech, they're 'orrible

Thanks for your comments, my last build was a Kona NuNu. it got nicked, but was a lovely bike o ride. You are right, it is a horrible mech, but it is a budget build....will be looking out for something better, hopefully something will turn up!

Agreed, the orange was nice. Only thing was that the paint was a bit too 'Rat look' if you know what I mean. Also one look at Mikee's single speed GT with the polished frame and my mind was made up!

Ok, so the paint is nearly off:

gtgo.jpg

It has taken 4 coats of nitromors so far, and lots of scraping. I have found the stanley knife useful, scrape off the top layer, and the paint underneath responds ok to wire wool. Tried a stiff wire brush but that was digging in to the metal so I had to give up on it.

And then I will be able to concentrate on the forks. I have Rock Shox Tora RS forks, which will need cutting down, unless I want to use about 15 spacers....

I have also sorted out some wheels, which are mavic rims and deore hubs, I am hoping to get them in the next couple of weeks.

No more Shimano tourney rear mech, I have now got an XT rear meach, to match the front and the shifters.

Am thinking about putting silver Wellgo Bear trap pedals on, has anyone got an opinion on these?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
UPDATE!

The build is progressing. Thanks to some great buys on here, I now have most of the bits I need.

First, a couple of obigatory kitchen photos:

gt100.jpg

gt101.jpg

As you can see most of the paint is off, don't look too closely at the welds! They will be finished soon, but when the wheels arrived I could not resist looking at the bones all together.

As far as other parts are concerned, I now have the following spec:

XT gears throughout
STX RC chainset - nice and shiny so a perfect match!
Tioga seat - matches the tyres
Bear trap pedals
deore lx brakes
sunline bolt on grips
A seat post off an M2.

Got to put some more hours in now and get the frame finished, also needs some details sorting out, like the stem bolts need resprayng, their are a few scrathes on the forks, and I am missing a bottom bracket!

SIMONFREESE":24mdi3jz said:
Am thinking about putting silver Wellgo Bear trap pedals on, has anyone got an opinion on these?

I'm a huge fan of these on GTs.
Cheap as chips, the odd Halfords still have in the bargain bin or ebay.

prod_22173.jpg

simon a small brass suede brush is better for paint removal
wire wool's good too

have you polished up just one little bit ,just to see yet ?
you'll find that it is worth the effort tho

Back