2012 - The 29'er takeover?!

kaiser":33z6cjrn said:
It'd be hard to totally convince someone all I can say is read read and read some more then decide if you want to make the leap. You will find many people waxing lyrical about their 29ers and as many naysayers mostly saying they look odd. Unfortunately I don't think a test ride is often enough to really show you what they can do, whilst you don't have to learn to ride again there are things your mind will stop you trying because you can't do it on a 26er.

The benefits for me, are most noticeably the roll of the big wheel. I have a rigid and singlespeed which I reckon highlights this the most, its almost like a suspended bike but maintains the accuracy of a rigid. Small bumps are dispatched easily and your flow is unaffected by trail obstacles that would slow down the smaller wheel. The increase in carcass size makes for a very grippy and comfortable ride but not at the expense of speed. The bikes also tend to sit you between the wheels, in the bike as it were rather than on top, which also also makes for an entertaining ride. I've found I can get up steeper hills and down more technical obstacles, tackle trails at a higher average speed and its the bike I generally pick out first nowadays.

Downsides? Well the bike I have is a fond of staying on terrra firma, even mild drop offs are a bit of a pain. I will attribute this to the bike though. New models are coming out with geometry to tackle this if you wish. Price is still high as EoB mentions, second hand stuff is coming through and on one have been championing them for a while and prices are pretty fair.

The myths about slow turning, only for tall folks hard to accelerate are all slowly being proven wrong. You can now get a 29er to do more or less what you want it to.

Cheers. :D
Think I need to sort a decent ride out so I can judge for myself. Maybe a days hire would be a good start.

look funny? Bet the same was said when 26 in mountqain bikes first appeared but now we are so used to them tat 29 in wheelers look weird.

I am resisting this as well a 2x10 speed since I have recently converted all my fleet to disc brakes and 3x9 so not really wanting to have to another set of different parts, bad enough having different disc brakes.

.... and yes, this is the future, unfortunately :twisted:

seem to remember Tom Ritchey come up with 2 x 9 and possibly 29 inch wheel, or was the latter one of Gary Fishers ideas? (or someone else)

i'm currently saving up (slowly) for a new bike next year. 29ers ahve cropped up on my radar but from what I can see in my case is a price premium over a normal 26" wheel bike from the same company and same spec level.

I'd be interested in giving one a go and seeing if they are "better" but i remain to be convinced.

For those 29 curious, keep a look out on ebay/singletrack. They will still be a bit more expensive than a 26er but they hold their value remarkably well.

I've recently built up a Turner 29er from ebay with budget/spare bin parts to try it. Compared to my 26er it's less throwable, but leaves it behind on the open trail. It also plows through sticky mud much better, to the point when I actually found myself overtaking a mate who I've ridden with since my teens and has always outclassed me in every way on a bike. On a ride through some pretty wet trails the other week I found he was actually holding me up for the first time in my life!

It's easier to roll (not lift) over object but does not climb as well as my 26er. That probably because my 26er is a light frame built with light, high end parts while the 29er was thrown together on a bugdet and is not at the same build level. I really do notice that extra weight on the climbs though.

One thing no one else has mentioned is actually the main reason I wanted to try one - the higher wheel axles. As a taller rider it's always struck me that I have a high centre of gravity, ride larger frames again with a higher centre of gravity yet the wheels stay the same as someone shorter than me. Although I have poor skills and balance it has seems that I am more susceptible to low speed comedy over-the-bars falls than shorter riders.

So far I've had two successful bail outs which I'm sure would have had me over the bars on my 26er.

It definitely works for me, although I haven't got the steerer quite sorted out yet as it feels a little slow, but I've got a longer bar & shorter stem to play with yet.

Only bike I would consider would be the Trek 69'er..
29" front wheel and 26" rear. They did look cool :cool:
Also apparently they had the best of both worlds (according to my mate that has one), you can roll over stuff with the 29" front wheel and accelerate better with the 26" rear wheel.

Back