RetroBike National Ride Series 2011 - Peaks Ride Aftermath

What a great weekend all round

Left home Friday 13:30, arrived back home Sunday 15:30, with plenty of memories, some good and some not so good (you know the ones I'm talking about, as you will no doubt be trying to erase the same ones) and two muddy bikes.

two hours later, two clean bikes, back to earth and looking forward to the next outing already

Great to see all the familiar faces and some new

I wonder how they pass time here on long winter evenings :LOL: :LOL:
Docking1.png

:LOL: :LOL:

photos to come later when the camera battery has charged

Well sunday lunch is eaten, kids are in bed so have finally got time to put my pics up! They aren't fantastic as they were on my iPhone but they are ok.

IMG_0315 by Minty Sauce, on Flickr

IMG_0312 by Minty Sauce, on Flickr

IMG_0314 by Minty Sauce, on Flickr

IMG_0310 by Minty Sauce, on Flickr

IMG_0311 by Minty Sauce, on Flickr

IMG_0314 by Minty Sauce, on Flickr

IMG_0309 by Minty Sauce, on Flickr

IMG_0308 by Minty Sauce, on Flickr

IMG_0307 by Minty Sauce, on Flickr

IMG_0317 by Minty Sauce, on Flickr

IMG_0302 by Minty Sauce, on Flickr

IMG_0321 by Minty Sauce, on Flickr

IMG_0320 by Minty Sauce, on Flickr

IMG_0323 by Minty Sauce, on Flickr
All clean now :)

Kaya, you managed to get a couple of good pics of me :shock: makes a change as I am not the most photogenic :oops:

Picture351.jpg

Do I get my retrobike rider tag now? :D

hey guys! :D

first chance to get online since the ride! :D :D

awesome ride and my legs were dead afterwards! really enjoyed the ride, staying at the woodbine cafe over night was definitely the way forward as there was no rush to get up and the breakfast was awesome but i didn't eat enough! by 10miles i felt like i was running on empty! at the penny pot i really made up for it though!! :shock: :D :D

the last section i really enjoyed (not just because it meant the end was here) but it also meant spence's beer was near!! :D :D

thanks to all the AEC's and helpers getting us around the course, thanks to JV for more of the bikefood stuff, thanks to Spence for the beer. :D

also thanks very much to Kean for another bloody project!!!! :LOL:

at the moment me and my buddy adam are now in a hotel just over the scottish border, (no it's not gretna!!) we have ridden hamsterly forest today which was a little disappointing although there were some good bits that we enjoyed, hopefully the weather will be ok ish for keilder tomorrow although they are expecting storms!! :shock: :shock:

also, on the way we spotted some caravan sales places so we investigated the names for the Ed game! :LOL: :LOL:

Attachments

• sales.jpg
    sales.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 2,534
  • pageant and ranger.jpg
    pageant and ranger.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 2,534
drystonepaul's official ride report

RB-Peaks_01.jpg

The Retrobikers assembled for the group photo at the top of the last climb

After all the anticipation, recce rides and weather watching, the morning of the big ride had finally arrived.
I opened the curtains to reveal a drizzly and grey sky. Just what I didn't want for the day. A quick bowl of porridge and a check on tire pressures and I set off over to Hope to meet up and sort out the final preparations.

Although wet it was also warm and humid with the temperature on the drive over hovering in the high teens. As I reached the top of Winnats Pass the cloud was low and visibility was poor. In short it was looking pretty dismal and I began to worry about just how slippery the first muddy descent would be.

Strolling into the Woodbine Cafe at 9 am I was greeted by several familiar and some less familiar faces. Heathy and Gravy Monster were already well underway with their hearty breakfasts, and the Heathy abuse machine was already well warmed up.

I battled through a huge bacon and egg bap like an ice road trucker while chatting to a few other retro breakfast companions and a strange looking lady Morris dancer.

Mr Kawasaki had invited everyone to join him for a 9 am breakfast, but 45 minutes later there was still no sign of him. But then his epic Westfalia arrived and blocked some traffic while he complained about a hangover and about being locked in his own cellar by his house guests.

Outside the light rain had stopped and given way to some lovely sunshine as more and more people arrived for the ride. We reached and surpassed the anticipated fifty rider mark with ease. The pavement was rapidly filling with an assorted trip hazard of great looking bikes.

Pretty much on schedule we gave a short briefing covering what to expect from the day. We thought it was also important to quash any rumours about Mr Kawasaki's demise despite him not riding for the past two years. He had worried that people thought it was his memorial ride...

To spread the group out a little, Mr K led away a 'Gentleman's group' along the road towards the first of the day's climbs.
15 minutes later the terminal faffers, late arrivals and Tim Gould wannabes set off in not so hot pursuit. The first short climb gave way to a pleasant roll down to a water splash and the turned right to begin the first big climb up onto Shatton Moor. I rode ahead and directed everyone up the turn and waited for Sinnett177 the designated section sweeper.

My camera had switched itself off several times and eventually I put it away whilst waiting for what seemed like far too long. After several minutes a small group of puncture repairers arrived led by Kaya whose front wheel promptly slid out underneath him as he nearly made the tarmac turn.
Dusting himself down and muttering a couple of choice phrases, Vern insisted he was fine despite the dull thud I'd heard as he hit and then slid along the tarmac. Tough bugger. Everyone was safe and accounted for.

The sun was now beating down and raising the temperature to match the incline. The long, steep climb onto the moor hadn't got any easier since last year. With a 20 minute deficit I rode at the back in my role as sweeper. I don't really think I could've gone much quicker though, so staying near the back was a preferred option.

The tarmac ended and the last section of loose and rocky stuff brought everyone up to the radio mast for a planned full re-group. The 50 plus riders were all happily chatting away, chilling out in the sunshine, recovering strength and soaking in the views.

EdEdwards was apparently first to the summit but was disqualified on a tire pressure rule infringement. Next up was Jonnyboy666's mate Adam. He was also discounted on account of his modern bike.
So the honour of carrying the 'Monkey of Hope' was claimed by RichAitch on his 1992 Marin Muirwoods, thus proving that 200GS is truly the most awesome groupset ever.

Go on... Kiss the monkey.

After a few minor and not so minor bike adjustments it was time to contour around the top of the moor and pick up the start of the tricky singletrack descent down Bradwell Edge.

There had been plenty of discussion about this section prior to the ride in terms of managing so many riders down a potentially hazardous section. But that's what mountain biking is all about so HarryCrumb, Sinnett177 and I set off down with our first aid kits to mark the drop at strategic points and hopefully limit the danger.

On my way down at the front I picked up a matching set of scratches for my right arm from the recce ride the night before. I'd been down this descent twice already in the previous ten days so I knew what to expect. With the morning's rain it had become a bit more slippery than before though. It was all rideable with a bit of skill, nerve and luck.

I positioned myself at the top of the last rutted steep and slippery bit and pulled a few thorns out of my bloodied arms while I waited for the ensuing carnage.

RB-Peaks_04.jpg

Spencer unleashes the power of the splatter paint

Bradwell Edge - click on the images to enlarge

There was some very impressive riding skill on display, as many riders successfully negotiated the ruts and twisted their way through the gate at the bottom. FluffyChicken rode it like a pro and MrK gave a slower but measured and very competent demonstration of how to ride a tricky mudslide with drop bars.

A few others weren't quite so lucky, but possibly more entertaining as they used prickly foliage to slow down and break their falls. Harrycrumb also hit the ground like a sack of spuds when his front wheel got caught in a rut and threw him over the bars. He had three kneecaps by the end of the ride.

Rider after rider bravely smiled or grimaced their way down until finally Ibelieveinfixies and Wu-Tangled showed everyone their expertly honed Mountain Mayhem Solo survival tactics by mincing it down the hill.

RB-Peaks_17.jpg

No Gus, there's nobody behind you.

With everyone comparing the fun of minor injuries and bracken I gave away an antiseptic wipe to stop Gus from being 'poisoned' and we continued down to Bradwell.

Passing through the village, everyone spread out nicely as anticipated on the bridleway through the incongruous Hope cement works. Then we all turned onwards and upwards through Pin Dale.
Regrouping again we began the now legendary 'Hill Climb Challenge'.

Setting off at short intervals everyone tackled to ridiculously loose rubble climb up out of the old quarry. While some riders adjusted tire pressure in the vain hope of finding traction, others mentally prepared themselves and visualised how good winning could be. To do well you need a combination of skill, strength and balance. But mostly you need luck and, it seems, a 29er.

Imnotanumber-06 took the honours on what was admittedly a modern bike. We couldn't really separate the next rider up it was so close. It was possibly Sinnett, Heathy, JV, LGF or me perhaps.

Anyway, John got the heavy lump of monkey on his back for the next few miles and he seemed quite happy about it.

RB-Peaks_18.jpg

Go on... Spank the monkey.

Part two coming soon...

Sounds like you had a great day guys ......maybe one day I'll get there and get round!

Another top event demonstrating the fundamental 'rightness' of the Retrobike fraternity - sticking it to the man, the doubters and the cynics in equal measure! The quality and breadth of bikes on show had to be seen to be believed.

Thanks to Vern for pulling me out of the brambles on Bradwell and to Paul for his expert ride preparation and planning. To all those who held gates for the last riders to come through - Retrobike salutes you.

No thanks to Friday night house guests Max - 'the manrider'; Keanu - 'dungeon master'; and Edwards - 'the docker'. Each played their part in trashing my home, my cellar and my drinks cabinet in a largely successful attempt at ruining my previous good cycling form come Saturday.

Attachments

• Special.png
    Special.png
    105.8 KB · Views: 6,174
  • Cellar dweller.JPG
    Cellar dweller.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 6,174
  • IMG_0675.JPG
    IMG_0675.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 6,174
  • Lemmy's eggs.JPG
    Lemmy's eggs.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 6,174
I am still in huge pain with my back. :-( It seems that the retro riding position isn't compatible with my spine. It pains me (literally) to say it but I'm going to have to put risers on my GT Tequesta if I'm going to ride it any decent distance again.
That last climb past Hope Cross nearly had me in tears to be honest, it was so painful. No problem once I was going downhill- it was like a BMX then and I could proper rag it pretty hard.
So sorry I held everybody up a few times - I just couldn't ride it too far in one stint.
Thanks to Team Puncture - fixing my front snakebite for me halfway down to Hope. Much appreciated as I was struggling to bend down.

Keep the pictures coming!!

Rob keep the faith and know that you did something beautiful
What you lack in uphill you make up for in your gutsy downhilling
:shock:
Oh and if you fit risers then .....shame on you they are the devils work :!:
RETRO it's the future :LOL:
I love all the pics so far it was an epic day and my legs feel fresh as a daisy although I am scratched to buggery...thanks to the gent who caught my bike as I leapt into the arms of the Tiger :oops:

Back