RetroBike National Ride Series 2011 - Peaks Ride Aftermath

Another great RetroBike ride.

As all have said before me, thanks to everybody involved in oragnising another great day.

It was nice to meet old and new faces especially Rob Aitkin & Rampage(sorry i didn't get your name :oops: ) for keeping me company on the hellish climbs, though that first muddy downhill was awsome :!: and i surprised myself by staying upright all the way to the bottom :D

I'm just gutted that i had to pull out half way round as my sus forks blew their seals so i took an amazing road ride downhill where i was on the brakes as much as that muddy downhill :LOL:

spent a pleasant afternoon sitting in the Woodbine Cafe drinking tea until you all got back for the prize giving & beer :cool:

I hope to get my forks done before the North Downs ride if i can get some seals.

Thanks again for a great day :)

peaks 2011

amazing day's riding! im still buzzin' about it now and, a little achy in the here and there!

massive thanks to the organisers and all involved in seeing the ride to a successful national series ride. i didn't get chance to talk to speak to everyone but was chuffed you were there all the same :cool:

some pics to help my speech...

yes, it all started with a short, delicate climb,, :shock:

DSCF0163.jpg

punch the air with delight. well deserved too!

DSCF0164.jpg

grimace( he speaks for us all!)

DSCF0165.jpg

rob pleased to get to the top. to get ready for the next climb.

DSCF0179.jpg

DSCF0180.jpg

ritch aitch powers to the top and, receives a prize for his efforts :)

DSCF0184.jpg

not all climbing though! plenty of downhill action to be had. muddy but fun.

DSCF0187.jpg

amongst 50+ riders the mechanicals were seldom but, the odd one.

DSCF0185.jpg

kaya saved his juice for the impossible stuff. this was the climb behind the quarry.

DSCF0194.jpg

sweet tarmac in the sun :cool:

DSCF0202.jpg

foooood! please!

DSCF0203.jpg

DSCF0206.jpg

scruffy robin shares my treacle slice.

DSCF0205.jpg

i think this was hope cross? last push before the drop to hope.

DSCF0210.jpg

well worth the effort to see these views.

DSCF0213.jpg

DSCF0216.jpg

this was the start of a great descent, not too tricky and very enjoyable!

DSCF0217.jpg

the rain held off til we got to our cars. super. see you all again soon.

marc.

This was the hardest & the best organised (gate opening/spacing riders out) national ride to date :cool:

My day started out quite badly, the bottom bracket on the Clockwork has siezed up after the bike was cleaned the day before (makes a mental note not to clean a bike again) and the only suitable (in the loosest possible terms) bike was my modern Cube Sting, I was gutted that I had to bring the modern bike out to play, but I guessed that better turn up on something rather than pike the ride ;)

Anyway feeling a bit out of place (Like an Englishman in New York) and arriving in a fairly foul mood I dragged myself up the 1st climb to the mast, the sight at the top with almost 50 retro bikes and riders cheered me up, maybe no one will notice the interloper....

Stern looks from the locals

P1020984 by Andy Bax, on Flickr

EdEdwards plotting things most devoius

P1020988 by Andy Bax, on Flickr

One for the caption contest

P1020990 by Andy Bax, on Flickr

The 1st descent of the day was a giggle and a half, slip sliding all the way down on two wheels until the last 50 yards when I got a little over confident and overcooked it with the inevitable consequence of man meets bush :LOL:

Gotta go up to go down and the next climb was another long slog up past the cement works/quarry with the hill climb challenge included to keep everyone on their toes. I was quite shocked that I managed the third (I think) best on this very loose rocky climb as climbing is not one of my better skills

LGF attempts to blend into the scenery

P1020994 by Andy Bax, on Flickr

Fluoro Rocks

P1020993 by Andy Bax, on Flickr

By now my legs had decided that enough was enough and cake was most definitely needed, I ignored my legs and carried on at a reduced pace up to Mam Tor, where with a little bit of organisation small groups of riders were released into the wild.

The descent down from Hollins cross was the highlight of the ride for me, I floated down it (like I was Walking on the Moon) at a fair old pace towards the cafe stop. Damn that descent was so good is all I could think of for the next five minutes, until the legs reminded me that cake was needed, so cake was had along with a sausage and egg butty.

P1020997 by Andy Bax, on Flickr

P1020998 by Andy Bax, on Flickr

Once refuelled we climbed (yet another long slog through Fields of Gold) up to the start of the last descent of the day, which started smooth and fast and soon turned loose and rocky much to my delight as once again I belted down it on my modern 'rig' (all I could think was Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic)...

I'm so glad I didn't pike and still a bit embarrassed that the bike I wanted to use wasn't in a ridable condition (bloody cycle mechanics eh!) but all in all a cracking day out, big thanks to all those who made this ride possible and such good fun :cool:

Oh and thanks to Heathy and the Guvnor for the Sting puns :LOL:

And after a quick edit of my GPS data, as I left it switched on for the car journey home :roll: :LOL:

Here's my GPS log of the ride

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/113525326

Time: 06:12:31
Moving Time: 03:03:26
Elapsed Time: 06:12:31
Avg Speed: 3.3 mph
Avg Moving Speed: 6.7 mph
Max Speed: 31.5 mph
Elevation Gain: 2,711 ft
Elevation Loss: 2,721 ft
Min Elevation: 521 ft
Max Elevation: 1,541 ft

Now back in the wilds of Kent.

What an awesome ride - many thanks to the organisers and gate holderopeners.

Drive home was greatly enhanced by caravan spotting, best spot by far was a (Bailey) Champagne Pageant.

For my first retrobike ride this was a real baptism of fire :twisted: A true ride of epic proportions. I thoughly enjoyed it and don't ache too much today. :D :shock: Big thanks to the organisers as this must of taken plenty of planing.

Bike is all cleaned and oiled and put away now. Will put up the few pics I have when I can get on the computer (read when the kids have gone to bed).

Thanks to AndyB for letting me tailgate him through Sheffield :cool:

Looks like the usual RB Great Day Out was had by all. You were very lucky with the weather! Friday's forecast had the area covered by a big cloud all day.

Sorry I couldn't make it but I'm still not very good (chest is still bad) so probably wouldn't even have made it to the ford!

Is this the biggest attendance yet?

Thank you to all who helped pull off a great days riding. So nice to see so many fresh(ish) faces as well as catching up with others.

My 4th Peaks event and each year I enjoy it more than the last, mainly because each year I get to meet new friends learn more about retrobike and its people.

Looking forward to the next. Cheers Mark

Back