Hello, i am after some advice, bought a 98 FSR Comp.

02gf74":1wpz55r9 said:
sylus":1wpz55r9 said:
i'm guessing the pre posts are to ensure you can post pics?

phew, I thought for a moment you were SRANDS' half-wit sibling.

Yes, i did a little bit of searching last night and discovered some of his crazy posts, he seams a bit of a mentalist.

bigmick":1wpz55r9 said:
the adaptor is an a2z and its not fitter correctly

this is how mines was fitted ignore the bar as i added that myself
the adaptor should rest against the seatstay
http://i30.tinypic.com/9qxxdk.jp

Cheers, i was rotated it this morning, can you just confirm how you take your rear wheel off? i can not see a way to remove the wheel when it is fitted like this unless you loosen the allen keys and rotate the adapter before dropping the rear wheel (this will scratch the frame?)

Fitting the adapter the same way as you meant i no longer had to extend the brake cable, so i hooked up the rear brake just to check it was all working.

The bike is now mostly stripped down, i just need to remove the BB and the headset cups, the headset cups are proving to be pretty stuck, and while the BB looks new, it also seams to have been put in pretty tight.

IMG_20110821_104114.jpg

I was intending to have the frame powdercoated white, but i may simply respray it myself (painted a few cars in my time) and mask off the headset cups/BB if they prove too troublesome to remove, i suspect the BB would have been easier to remove if the bike was still complete, i don't think my workstand can take much twisting, and i dont have a vice in my man cave.

After removing the rear shock, the rear end was still kind of stiff (although it did not seam to have any play) the original bushes were not very smooth, it seams a bit of a crap design, so i will stump up for the BETD needle bearing gear to help the rear end out.

I also stripped down the Judy T2 front shock, expecting to find it in a bit of a state inside, to my utter suprise the elastomers are in perfect condition :? :shock: so i cleaned them up and added a little oil to them before refitting, the shocks still feel crap and have some wobbly play to them, now i know they are old tech, and i can only compare them with my 2011 Rockshox Reba RL`s on my main XC bike, but they just feel utterly crap.

Both shock legs on the Judy T2`s have allen key bolts at the bottom of them what are these for?

The only thing i could think is maybe you are supposed to turn the forks upside down and put a bit of oil into the holes to help lube up the legs now and again :?:

Are the Judy T2 forks worth anything?

being as i'm the un-official GC FSR expert feel free to drop me a PM with any questions you have. also have a lookie at my GC FSR build thread in my sig ;)

Will do mate if/when i get stuck,

Bike currently looks a bit like this ;)

Hammered Copper

IMG_20110824_164405.jpg

Frame while still wet.

IMG_20110826_165017.jpg

Need to source some FSR decals :)

Will do at some point thanks.

I am liking the way this is shaping up, just loosely attached a few parts to get a feel for bike, plan is to BETD the rear end, so i have not added any bushes or stuff back in.

IMG_20110902_161022.jpg

I`m currently rebuilding a RockShox Psylo SL fork to test on the front end, when i picked up the bike it felt a little small to me, like i was over the front end too much, i did want a smaller frame then my Boardman as i want to be able to chuck it around a bit more, i knew i was going to add a fork with some longer travel, but i dont want to splash a few hundred quid on the bike if i`m not happy with the size of it.

So rebuild the Psylo SL fork (its in the garage now while the lowers are drying) then fit it to the bike, have a quick test fit, if its all good, then start spending the cash on the BETD stuff, if i`m not happy with it, then simply sell the bike and look for something else :)

I will also at some point have to deciede what to do about the rear shock, the shock seams fine, but the back end of the bike was pretty seized up when i picked it up, so i have no idea if the stock shock will be adequate for me (yet)

Made some progress this past week, i picked up a cheap Rock Shox Psylo fork from ebay a while back, i wanted a 120mm fork to fit onto the frame just so i could test the geometry with me on the bike, i do not want to spend big money on parts if the frame feels a little small, it felt like i was hunched over the bars on the stock Judy T2 forks.

Fork was fully stripped down, the left stanchion had some marks, so this was sanded down and cleaned up, i fitted a new seal and foam ring kit and give the fork some fresh oil, the crown and lower legs were painted with white hammerite paint.

The fork appears to be working fine, shame the left leg was marked as i had to sand down some of the anodised coating, i dont seam to have any sloppiness or play though, if my test ride is satisfactory, then this fork will be upgraded to a new model at some point, i will then probably fit the Psylo onto the missus cheap rigid bike.

Anyway, here is a photo taken today, i still need to paint the handle bars white, and pick up a longer seat post (in white)

IMG_20110910_143816.jpg

Im loving the FSRs at the moment.

Unique colour choice. But looks a good job you've done.

Preferred the original yellow colour but still looking forward to seeing the completed build

I painted some of my old Subaru wheels this colour a few years back :LOL:

Anyway, i was out on my Boardman 2011 Pro this morning and the freehub seized up, GAAAHHHHHHH.

I limped home and thought about my options, i started stripping the Boardman, this would have been the third time i have greased up this fecking freehub (its done 750 miles) and i figured i might as well just replace the entire rear hub.

But now i have no working bike while the new hubs are onroute :(

Might as well build up the FSR then :cool:

Spent all afternoon putting it back together, i have resprayed the stock handle bars and seat post in white paint.

IMG_20110918_151832.jpg

IMG_20110918_151847.jpg

Just got back from a 8 mile shakedown run around the NE coastline, this is the first time i have ridden this bike :? since i bought it, and it feels like a sofa :LOL:

A few niggly problems, the seatpost is too short, whoever owned the bike before me has cut down the stock post, probably to lower it right down without it clipping anything? i had it higher then i was supposed to place it (i assume thats why the seat tube has a hole in it to check?) and it was still a little low for my legs.

The refurbed RockShox Psylo front fork worked really well, although i think i need an upgraded spring, the fork cost me £27 on eBay and i think i paid £25 for a seal kit and some proper Rockshox fork oil, add in a can of hammered finish white paint for the crown and lowers and it looks like i sorted out a bargain to tide me over.

The "Tecktro" brake callipers seam utterly GASH, i fitted some spare Avid clean sweep rotors from my Boardman, but it made no difference, the brakes are poor, some Avid BB7`s will be bought soon.

The rear disc is sometimes rubbing on a frame bolt when cornering, this is an easy fix as it should just need a little more fileing down.

I started getting a noise that i could not track down, so came home to check things out, at this point i realised that i had only fitted 2 disc rotor bolts on the front wheel, and they were approx 2 threads slack when i arrived home :LOL: i think i got that excited when i started seeing it built up i started to over look things.

The geometery felt fine while riding it now that i have the longer fork on, on the stock Judy T2 fork i felt like i was hunched over the front end and it made the bike feel small, with the longer front fork, it feels a lot bigger while riding it, so i will now start spending decent money on various parts, like a full BETD rear end, and at some point a new 120-140mm front fork, the Psylo fork will be going on the G/F`s rigid bike :)

Need to start looking into the decals for it as well :) will contact the chap named in this thread in a week or so.

Back