Cones /Axles - Campagnolo Gran Sport Hubs - Sorry another Q.

Cheesedisease

Senior Retro Guru
Can anyone confirm what size bearings the 1950s High Flange Gran Sport hubs used? Front and rear.

Any info on cones and axles that would make suitable replacements appreciated too. I can see the part numbers in the Campagnolo Catalogue from 1953. But not sizes I don't think?

Not even sure how fussy you need to be in terms of getting exactly the right size cones?

Any brand would do though, doesn't need to be Campagnolo. They're meant for QR, but a nutted fitting axle that works would be fine too.

Many thanks for the help.

Front 3/16 and rear 1/4 inches. Hubs made by FB, and used hard chrome surfaced cones, when I first used them in 1955. These were supplied in large and small flange (not high) at retail approximately £5.00 and £ 3.30 a pair. Importer and trade supplier was The Holdsworthy Co.
The cones were date stamped.

Forgot, original axles 9 and 10mm, 26 tpi.

Thanks once more Keith... I was thinking it would be you that would have the answer!

So axles should be easy to replace. But can I use any cones that are for those bearing sizes? Or is there more I need to pay attention to than that?

I've noticed the cones I've collected together for Airlite hubs are all for the same size of bearings, but often have quite different lengths of curved section? Sometimes shallower. Does that matter?

Guess I'll also need to make sure the cones diametre 'fill' the hub shell too? In terms of not letting too much in to the bearings from the outside once assembled?

I bought some NOS GS Shells. But I actually have a poor condition set of these hubs so once I get hold of some cone spanners, I can take them apart and see what they're like. Or use for reference to find suitable new 'innards'!

Thanks again, Daniel

I saw a huge list of various replacement cones for (I think) Shimano recently, have a search for it. The origins of cup and cone bearings, (slightly before my time) were to be simple, and work in poor conditions. There is a theoretical point where there is no play in the hub and the bearings are "preloaded", but I usually preferred to have a very slight movement at the rim, then we got the GS hubs where the preload position was just about perfect, and the lock nuts were thick enough that they didn't loosen when the QR is done up.
I hope this is correct.

Just did a bit of reading through the later catalogues...

Had a sneaking suspicion that the later Tipo hubs used the same cones. And they do. Same part number. Although not sure how much that means they're exactly the same. But the Tipos have same bearing size and count so should work well. Unfortunately I just sold a set as they're later period than anything I'm building, so was never going to get round to using them. Drat! Still Tipos seem to sell strangely cheaply. Could be cheaper than Campag axles and parts on their own!

Last question, anyone know the difference between Record Hub Cones and the early GS ones? The only difference in the part number is a suffix 'R'. Are they a totally different size?

Many thanks for my patience trying questions!

latman":cxsuclig said:
wheels manufacturing ? http://wheelsmfg.com there seems alot of Shimano but not much Campag at all .

Thanks for that link. Just had a chance to read through it. There's a Shimano compatible cone (CN-R025) for the front that looks very close. Well as close as you can guess without digital calipers! Of course I'm assuming all their fronts are 3/16 and rears 1/4. Thank god I have an old set to measure up. Quite cheap too.

Just in case anyone is still remotely interested. I'll be sure to update this if I work it all out accurately!

Different Question, but same subject. So trying to keep it all here rather than a fresh thread...

I know Campagnolo Hub Lock nuts are often dated. My Tipo ones were '71' for 1971. These Gran Sport ones are '11'. Any ideas if this can be dated?

Thanks once again.

Back